Domain Setup question.

Tom Waterman

We are getting ready to deploy PBXnSIP in out office. I just need to get a couple of questions answered so I can report back and we can finally get off the old pbx we have now.

1. I want to connect our Audiocodes gateway directly to the PBX. So the PBX server will have 2 nics. 1 that is directly connected to the gateway and the other nic goes to the network. Is this possible?

2. If the network were to go down and the PBX could not see any clients can we redirect calls to a 7 digit number such as a cell phone. I would want to do this on the domain level not on the extension.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

Tom

We are getting ready to deploy PBXnSIP in out office. I just need to get a couple of questions answered so I can report back and we can finally get off the old pbx we have now.

1. I want to connect our Audiocodes gateway directly to the PBX. So the PBX server will have 2 nics. 1 that is directly connected to the gateway and the other nic goes to the network. Is this possible?

2. If the network were to go down and the PBX could not see any clients can we redirect calls to a 7 digit number such as a cell phone. I would want to do this on the domain level not on the extension.

1. Yes. The PBX can deal with any number of NIC (and IP addresses) - as long as the routing tables are set up correctly on OS level.

2. That can be done only on extension level. There is a feature called "Call forward when not registered" that you can use. Doing that on the whole domain has only limited use, as it is difficult to say when the whole domain is "offline". For hunt and agent groups you have to work with the final stage (hunt group) and all agents logged out (agent group) or just a time redirection.

1. Yes. The PBX can deal with any number of NIC (and IP addresses) - as long as the routing tables are set up correctly on OS level.

2. That can be done only on extension level. There is a feature called "Call forward when not registered" that you can use. Doing that on the whole domain has only limited use, as it is difficult to say when the whole domain is "offline". For hunt and agent groups you have to work with the final stage (hunt group) and all agents logged out (agent group) or just a time redirection.

Ok great. One last question, we have looked at the Snom M3's are there any other good cordless options out there that PBXnSIP support?

Ok great. One last question, we have looked at the Snom M3's are there any other good cordless options out there that PBXnSIP support?

Siemens Gigaset IP DECT devices are an alternative. Also, Polycom and Aastra have DECT devices - I believe those more targeted at large enterprises that require handover from one DECT base station to another.

If you use FXS ATA, you have a huge choice of cordless devices; however that audio quality may be a problem because of the additional A/D step and stupid things like hangup detection.

• 1 year later...
Siemens Gigaset IP DECT devices are an alternative...

Any suggestions regarding setup? I am trying to register a Gigaset S685IP to snomONE and it simply refuses to register. I am already using a softphone that I was able to easily register to the PBX, but using the same info on the Gigaset and it refuses to register.

I turned off the softphone just in case there was a problem with multiple registrations to the same extension (shouldn't be, the limit is still set to 5 and these are the only 2), but it made no difference. I'm a bit stuck really. The Gigaset registers directly to the VOIP provider and works perfectly, but won't to the PBX, yet all the settings look good.

Anyone done this and aware of any gotchas?

Any suggestions regarding setup? I am trying to register a Gigaset S685IP to snomONE and it simply refuses to register. I am already using a softphone that I was able to easily register to the PBX, but using the same info on the Gigaset and it refuses to register.

I turned off the softphone just in case there was a problem with multiple registrations to the same extension (shouldn't be, the limit is still set to 5 and these are the only 2), but it made no difference. I'm a bit stuck really. The Gigaset registers directly to the VOIP provider and works perfectly, but won't to the PBX, yet all the settings look good.

It depends on the license type for snom ONE. When using the free edition for example, you can register only two third-party devices.

It depends on the license type for snom ONE. When using the free edition for example, you can register only two third-party devices.

Er, what? This is news to me. Can you please elaborate on what you mean.

Mind you, I don't think that's the issue here as I was trying it with NO other registration on ANY extension.

I've been trying to find out more about this, but can find NO mention of it anywhere. All I can find is that all versions of snomONE support ALL features, the only limitation being the number of extensions. The info available for snomONE makes a big thing of this very fact, there are NO limitations apart from the extensions (which I agree is entirely reasonable).

What do you mean by 'third party devices'? Any SIP client not made by Snom? Are you saying that this limit is per extension or per domain? Where does this info come from?

I've been trying to find out more about this, but can find NO mention of it anywhere. All I can find is that all versions of snomONE support ALL features, the only limitation being the number of extensions. The info available for snomONE makes a big thing of this very fact, there are NO limitations apart from the extensions (which I agree is entirely reasonable).

What do you mean by 'third party devices'? Any SIP client not made by Snom? Are you saying that this limit is per extension or per domain? Where does this info come from?

snom ONE blue supports five domains and they may legally not be used in hosted environments. The other editions only support only one domain.

Yes, thirds parties not made by snom. This is a common model and this is because of the support issues (ping-pong with other vendors) when something goes wrong and the subsidized pricing for snom ONE.

snom ONE blue supports five domains and they may legally not be used in hosted environments. The other editions only support only one domain.

Well I have read all I can find about the 3 editions and missed that so it's certainly not clear. However, it's a quite understandable restriction and not a problem for me. But Snom make a BIG point that the 3 versions are full featured with no limitations, but it is now becoming apparent that they are being VERY economical with the truth.

Yes, thirds parties not made by snom. This is a common model and this is because of the support issues (ping-pong with other vendors) when something goes wrong and the subsidized pricing for snom ONE.

For many obvious reasons the support issue you mention is of course a complete red herring.

I still maintain this is a small minded and misplaced policy. I don't believe there is anything to gain and much WILL be lost.

BTW, I sorted the issue with the Gigaset, but I guess that's rather a moot point now.

I cannot help but remind you of Snom's own proclamations regarding snomONE. The following is from the snomONE FREE page:-

Multidomain

Full feature set with every version (blue, yellow, free)

Looks clear enough to me. I think this is what annoys the most. Misdirection that cannot be seen as anything other than outright lies.

Well I have read all I can find about the 3 editions and missed that so it's certainly not clear. However, it's a quite understandable restriction and not a problem for me. But Snom make a BIG point that the 3 versions are full featured with no limitations, but it is now becoming apparent that they are being VERY economical with the truth.

Come on. You want multiple domains with 10 extensions? The point is that snom ONE is sold through the VAR channel, and thats the reason for the CPE focus.

Come on. You want multiple domains with 10 extensions?...

I am sorry? Maybe we have a different understanding about intellectual property and licensing a software product.

I don't think you're reading my posts carefully enough. I actually stated that I did NOT have a problem with a single domain restriction and this is not about "intellectual property and licensing". My last post simply pointed out that Snom have made certain specific claims about snomONE and they are are not actually true.

I don't see how you can defend or deny this when I have quoted (direct from Snom's own website), the claimed spec that you have here categorically denied.

I will also state again that I CAN see why Snom might want to limit the use of third party products that are in direct competition with their own. But I do NOT agree with this restriction applying to products that Snom themselves can NOT supply and which therefore canNOT affect the sale of Snom products. If Snom wanted to sell their own softphones, then again I would understand, but this is not the issue since their are NO SUCH Snom products. That is why I find this restriction so inexplicable, as well as preventing me from doing what I wanted with snomONE. Don't forget, my intention was to always pair snomONE with M9 hardware, but I need to compliment that with softphones.

So again, I understand and do not necessarily disagree with what Snom want to achieve with this restriction, but I think it has been implemented in a clumsy way that unintentionally precludes the possibility of using other products about which Snom don't need to concern themselves and this will adversely affect the overall sales of snomONE, but for no benefit elsewhere as there can be NO sales of Snom softphones to protect.

Unless Snom are about to launch softphone products for the Mac and iPhone - in which case, tell me more.

Unless Snom are about to launch softphone products for the Mac and iPhone - in which case, tell me more.

I agree on that. There must be a soft phone in the package. So far there is the good old snom 360 softphone which still runs even on Windows 7. Maybe snom (we) should just take another photo of a newer phone model and generate a new soft phone image...

I agree on that. There must be a soft phone in the package. So far there is the good old snom 360 softphone which still runs even on Windows 7. Maybe snom (we) should just take another photo of a newer phone model and generate a new soft phone image...

How about Snom just recognise that as they don't currently have any Mac or iPhone softphones (and I suspect unlikely to for the foreseeable future) they ALLOW extension registrations from e.g. Counterpath's Bria. They could add more, but I guess each would need to be coded as an 'allowed' product. However, this would at least be a start and cover all the client OSs of any importance. Snom also have some existing relationship with Counterpath as they already 'recommend' other Counterpath products (not for snomONE, obviously :-)