failover on dialplan / trunk

pbxuser911

I need help with setting up the following failover solution

i have 3 trunk's and each of those 3 have a 2nd trunk group which the providor gave us to use for failover

in the main trunk i have Failover Behavior on all error codes, request timeout 3

here is how i have the dial plan set up:

PREF 100 - Unassigned

PREF 101 - E911 SIPGW 1

PREF 102 - E911 SIPGW 2

PREF 104 VOICE TRADING SIPGW 1 PATTERN 011* REPLACEMENT 00*

PREF 105 VOICE TRADING SIPGW 2 PATTERN 011* REPLACEMENT 00*

PREF 107 VP SIPGW 1 PATTERN 1800* REPLACEMENT 1800*

PREF 107 VP SIPGW 1 PATTERN 1877* REPLACEMENT 1877*

PREF 108 VP SIPGW 2 PATTERN 1800* REPLACEMENT 1800*

PREF 108 VP SIPGW 2 PATTERN 1877* REPLACEMENT 1877*

Now the way this is set up, if the trunk on PREF 107 VP SIPGW 1 is down, will it failover to PREF 108 VP SIPGW 2?

and what should i do if i want to add another trunk (a diff termination) in case V SIPGW1 & VP SIPGW2 goes down?

do i add lets say TSG SIPGW1 trunk and set PREF 109 TSG SIPGW1 PATTERN 1800* REPLACEMENT 1800* ?

and PREF 109 TSG SIPGW2 PATTERN 1877* REPLACEMENT 1877* ?

and do i need to enable failover on the trunk VP SIPGW2 on all error codes?

I need help with setting up the following failover solution

i have 3 trunk's and each of those 3 have a 2nd trunk group which the providor gave us to use for failover

in the main trunk i have Failover Behavior on all error codes, request timeout 3

here is how i have the dial plan set up:

PREF 100 - Unassigned

PREF 101 - E911 SIPGW 1

PREF 102 - E911 SIPGW 2

PREF 104 VOICE TRADING SIPGW 1 PATTERN 011* REPLACEMENT 00*

PREF 105 VOICE TRADING SIPGW 2 PATTERN 011* REPLACEMENT 00*

PREF 107 VP SIPGW 1 PATTERN 1800* REPLACEMENT 1800*

PREF 107 VP SIPGW 1 PATTERN 1877* REPLACEMENT 1877*

PREF 108 VP SIPGW 2 PATTERN 1800* REPLACEMENT 1800*

PREF 108 VP SIPGW 2 PATTERN 1877* REPLACEMENT 1877*

Now the way this is set up, if the trunk on PREF 107 VP SIPGW 1 is down, will it failover to PREF 108 VP SIPGW 2?

and what should i do if i want to add another trunk (a diff termination) in case V SIPGW1 & VP SIPGW2 goes down?

do i add lets say TSG SIPGW1 trunk and set PREF 109 TSG SIPGW1 PATTERN 1800* REPLACEMENT 1800* ?

and PREF 109 TSG SIPGW2 PATTERN 1877* REPLACEMENT 1877* ?

and do i need to enable failover on the trunk VP SIPGW2 on all error codes?

The purpose on the "all error codes" is that the PBX can differentiate between the gateway itself being busy or the destination itself busy (talking). In SIP the gateway is supposed to send a 5xx code if it has no more channels available; but there are gateways out there which send 486 (destination is busy/talking). If you gateway does it right and sends a 5xx code when all gateway channels are occupied, you should select that it fails over only on 5xx calls. If it is one of those buggy ones, then you have to failover on all codes.

The other failover is timeout. You can control with the timeout setting on the trunk how many seconds the PBX should wait before it generates a 408 response. This will also trigger the failover case as if the gateway would send a 408 code.

When the failover happens, the PBX resumes the processing of the dial plan with the next higher number in the plan. You should avoid using the same preference number in the dialplan as it makes this processing kind of random. When the PBX resumes the processing, it will again look for matches. The next line that matches will be executed then. This line can also failover and the game continues until either there is a result (e.g. the call connects) or the dial plan has no more lines.

how about the way i have it set up now, is it good? or i shouldnt set the same pref number even it uses the same trunk?

and , what do i have to be caution as far as putting which one first? for example i know i cant set 102 to be 1* and replacement 1* since then all calls starting with 1 will use pref 102

how about the way i have it set up now, is it good? or i shouldnt set the same pref number even it uses the same trunk?

and , what do i have to be caution as far as putting which one first? for example i know i cant set 102 to be 1* and replacement 1* since then all calls starting with 1 will use pref 102

Apart from using the same preference number twice the dial plan looks okay to me.

Which one first only plays a role if a entry in the lower part of the dial plan should not rbe reached because of a entry in the upper part (defining the exception first and then handling other cases). But usually that is a feature - for example if you have a special trunk for calls to New Zealand put that first, and if it fails you go to a more expensive route that also works for New Zealand.

fair enough

can i have an option to upload a dial plan and be able to name it whatever i need to? now i have a dial plan on every domain, in case down the road ineed to customize something for a customer

its a PITA to type all that up, would even be easier if i can add more then one row at a time

okay awesome, tought i had to start with 100

thanks for the info

can i add mroe then 1 row at a time? and also can i save a dial plan and upload it to other domains and have the option to rename the dial plan?

lastly i need to know the correct way of what the dial plan needs tobe set up as, that when you dial a 10 digit number area code-xxx-xxxx it should automaticly add a number 1 in front of it, and also when someone calls me, it should show as 1-area code-xxx-xxxx which now doesnt work