jitter- on 3.4ghz/1gb ram box

mattlandis

Hi,

We moved from a Atom1.8g/512mb ram, xp home laptop to a p4 3.4ghz/1gb ram desktop xp pro machine (clean install/nothing else on). Both had 1gb nics. On the new server we now have jitter about about every 1/4 minute. Almost undetectable. (but on vm when people let phone numbers, 1 digit is missing at times)

We have set the affinity to processor 2, but the problem persists.

Any other suggestions?

tx

matt

Hi,

We moved from a Atom1.8g/512mb ram, xp home laptop to a p4 3.4ghz/1gb ram desktop xp pro machine (clean install/nothing else on). Both had 1gb nics. On the new server we now have jitter about about every 1/4 minute. Almost undetectable. (but on vm when people let phone numbers, 1 digit is missing at times)

We have set the affinity to processor 2, but the problem persists.

How long is the delay between the RTP packets? What is the exact time between the problems, 15 seconds?

I assume the process is running with sufficient permissions and there is nothing in the log like "cound not set affinity mask".

How long is the delay between the RTP packets? What is the exact time between the problems, 15 seconds?

I assume the process is running with sufficient permissions and there is nothing in the log like "cound not set affinity mask".

Its a little hard to catch the jitter, but i was thinking about 15sec.

One problem i have in windows is I cant right click on the process and see what processor its using--i get not appropriate permissions message--soo, maybe that is an issue...i'll check.

thanks

matt

Its a little hard to catch the jitter, but i was thinking about 15sec.

One problem i have in windows is I cant right click on the process and see what processor its using--i get not appropriate permissions message--soo, maybe that is an issue...i'll check.

thanks

matt

also, what will trigger the "could not set affinity" log record? i just turned on logging.

matt

thanks

Hi,

Ok, I restarted pbxnsip service and it WAS able to set the affinity according to the logfile:

[5] 2009/02/21 16:55:31: Set processor affinity to 2

BUT the jitter remains. It seems approx every 15 sec (very approx) it just cuts out.

-The system has NO load when it happens

-I've tried it with a very simple config, 2 phones, in same switch, no load, still jitter.

-i called sales queue/73 and listened to the moh and roughly every 10-15 sec. it stutters/cuts out for a split second.

-i've tried switching affinity to processor 1 with similar results

I'd really like to resolve this,

tx

matt

Ok, I restarted pbxnsip service and it WAS able to set the affinity according to the logfile:

[5] 2009/02/21 16:55:31: Set processor affinity to 2

BUT the jitter remains. It seems approx every 15 sec (very approx) it just cuts out.

-The system has NO load when it happens

-I've tried it with a very simple config, 2 phones, in same switch, no load, still jitter.

-i called sales queue/73 and listened to the moh and roughly every 10-15 sec. it stutters/cuts out for a split second.

-i've tried switching affinity to processor 1 with similar results

If you can easily resolve this, get a Wireshark trace and see if there is anything on the network. Maybe a packet storm every 15 seconds.

I assume it does not make a difference if the call is internal, to the mailbox or external? if the problem also exist for a IVR (mailbox) call we can exclude the jitter is coming from an outside source.

Also, can you check the process list on that computer. Is there anything that has a priority above normal? Only processes above normal can give you that problem.

If you can easily resolve this, get a Wireshark trace and see if there is anything on the network. Maybe a packet storm every 15 seconds.

I assume it does not make a difference if the call is internal, to the mailbox or external? if the problem also exist for a IVR (mailbox) call we can exclude the jitter is coming from an outside source.

Also, can you check the process list on that computer. Is there anything that has a priority above normal? Only processes above normal can give you that problem.

Hello,

>Also, can you check the process list on that computer.

This is a cleanly installed machine. When I check processes nothing is running.

>I assume it does not make a difference if the call is internal, to the mailbox or external?

I can call 1 internal extension to another on the same switch so the problem is internal.

I can wireshark.

matt

Hello,

>Also, can you check the process list on that computer.

This is a cleanly installed machine. When I check processes nothing is running.

>I assume it does not make a difference if the call is internal, to the mailbox or external?

I can call 1 internal extension to another on the same switch so the problem is internal.

I can wireshark.

matt

Ok, I finally got to the bottom of this jitter.

We were having a small 10-20% cpu spike about every 15 seconds.

I stopped pbxnsip service and this spike continued.

I did a little research on the service causing the spike (DPC) & found USB devices can cause this. So I unplugged the usb device in the machine and the spike stopped...along with the jitter.

I then upgraded the usb driver for the device and that stopped the spiking. so all is ok now.

thanks for the help,

matt

Ok, I finally got to the bottom of this jitter.

We were having a small 10-20% cpu spike about every 15 seconds.

I stopped pbxnsip service and this spike continued.

I did a little research on the service causing the spike (DPC) & found USB devices can cause this. So I unplugged the usb device in the machine and the spike stopped...along with the jitter.

I then upgraded the usb driver for the device and that stopped the spiking. so all is ok now.

Whow! Nice catch!!!