HP ML series, FreeBSD and XenServer

I am doing an initial test using FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE and 8.0-RELEASE-200902 kernels. I was looking to see if anyone

has implemented PBXnSIP/FreeBSD on a virtualization platform like XenServer? Now that the enterprise edition of

XenServer is free I was looking to do baremetal with Xen & BSD. I seem to recall durring training a provider using

PBXnSIP/FreeBSD kernel parameter kern.hz=1000 (under VMware?).

Currently I am using HP ML350 G5 w/E5300 series Quad core Xeon, Local SAS Storage, and GigE i/o with XenServer 5

The VM slice is configured with 1 cpu core no CPU cap,256mb ram. The kernel parameter is set kern.hz=100 and have

not noticed any side effects with initial basic testing.

Thanks,

Isaac

I am doing an initial test using FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE and 8.0-RELEASE-200902 kernels. I was looking to see if anyone

has implemented PBXnSIP/FreeBSD on a virtualization platform like XenServer? Now that the enterprise edition of

XenServer is free I was looking to do baremetal with Xen & BSD. I seem to recall durring training a provider using

Currently I am using HP ML350 G5 w/E5300 series Quad core Xeon, Local SAS Storage, and GigE i/o with XenServer 5

The VM slice is configured with 1 cpu core no CPU cap,256mb ram. The kernel parameter is set kern.hz=100 and have

Thanks,

Isaac

Hi Isaac,

I've been wanting to test this when i have time (well, hyper-v).

We would use the ml350 too.

Pbxnsip says the virtualization will cause jitter.

matt

If you can, avoid virtual machines. They might end up in resource conflicts and yes then it is not clear who gets the CPU.

Though I heared there is some progress on VM. I would use it in a test setup, but I don't feel safe in a deployment yet.

Thanks,

Isaac

I am running a test environment with FreeBSD 7.1 on vmware with kern.hertz=1000 and don't get into timing problems

except when the processor clock changes.

BTW, Anybody getting this log:

UDP: TOS could not be set on FreeBSD?

Hi Isaac,

I've been wanting to test this when i have time (well, hyper-v).

We would use the ml350 too.

matt

Matt,

I am seeing more support across the board for virtualization of voip systems.

3CX has a big banner on their page stating not only do they support it but actually

recommend it. They have a Hyper-V container for download for eval.

Personally I am not a fan of Hyper-V or any other virtualization wich runs atop of

a full OS like windows. I like the ability to have a lightweight kernel & os like

VMware ESX / ESXi & XenServer. VMware is awesome however it is quite costly.

Citrix released XenServer Enterprise for free this month. The enterprise version

lets you dynamically limit cpu resources per slice and supports "vmotion" hot swaps

like ESX all for free.

-Isaac

I am running a test environment with FreeBSD 7.1 on vmware with kern.hertz=1000 and don't get into timing problems

except when the processor clock changes.

BTW, Anybody getting this log:

UDP: TOS could not be set on FreeBSD?

I was wondering what you meant by processor clock changes? I know HPs now have "Dynamic Power Management" that actually slow or turn off cores to limit actual electrical power usage. FreeBSD has used NOOP & IDLE cpu commands but I dont recall seeing speedstep or something like it changing cpu clocks.

-Isaac

Matt,

I am seeing more support across the board for virtualization of voip systems.

3CX has a big banner on their page stating not only do they support it but actually

recommend it. They have a Hyper-V container for download for eval.

Personally I am not a fan of Hyper-V or any other virtualization wich runs atop of

a full OS like windows. I like the ability to have a lightweight kernel & os like

VMware ESX / ESXi & XenServer. VMware is awesome however it is quite costly.

Citrix released XenServer Enterprise for free this month. The enterprise version

lets you dynamically limit cpu resources per slice and supports "vmotion" hot swaps

like ESX all for free.

-Isaac

Isaac,

>3CX has a big banner on their page stating not only do they support it but actually

recommend it.

Would you have a specific url for this? I can't seem to lay my eyes on it.

The reason 3cx may be a bit quick to promote virtual is because at the moment that is 3cx way to multi-tenant. I would like to see the marketing url on virtual.

I would have some reservations about virtual (for any ippbx) until I see it work in live environment or get respected voice speak on it.

matt

Isaac,

>3CX has a big banner on their page stating not only do they support it but actually

recommend it.

Would you have a specific url for this? I can't seem to lay my eyes on it.

The reason 3cx may be a bit quick to promote virtual is because at the moment that is 3cx way to multi-tenant. I would like to see the marketing url on virtual.

I would have some reservations about virtual (for any ippbx) until I see it work in live environment or get respected voice speak on it.

matt

Matt,

I went looking for the Hyper-V info I was talking about earlier. I could not locate the

VHD image for download, nor the specific page I remember. I did locate references

to Hyper-V & VMware in the product comparison page and a Press Release for 7.0. As

for the VHD Images, I know that microsoft has been cracking down on use of the

evaluation copies of windows that the demos often use.

20081208 3CX Release 7 Press Release

Look under New Features

http://www.3cx.com/news/3cx-release-v7.html

3CX Version Comparison

Look under Management and Scaleability (VMware & Hyper-V Support)

http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/edition-comparison.html

-Isaac

Matt,

I went looking for the Hyper-V info I was talking about earlier. I could not locate the

VHD image for download, nor the specific page I remember. I did locate references

to Hyper-V & VMware in the product comparison page and a Press Release for 7.0. As

for the VHD Images, I know that microsoft has been cracking down on use of the

evaluation copies of windows that the demos often use.

20081208 3CX Release 7 Press Release

Look under New Features

http://www.3cx.com/news/3cx-release-v7.html

3CX Version Comparison

Look under Management and Scaleability (VMware & Hyper-V Support)

http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/edition-comparison.html

-Isaac

Isaac,

Thanks.

matt