CS410 Questions

joeh

Extensions

Is the 10 extension limit a 'hard' limit on the system or can existing extension licenses be purchased. I understand there's obviously resource constraints, but say we sell a 410 to a small office, who then grows to 11 or maybe 12 extensions - is the only option for them to upgrade to the CS425?

FXO Ports

I know when I've tried early versions of the Asterisk analog cards, they didn't work well in the UK - due to differences with impedence and callerID. We generally use external ISDN gateways for PSTN Connectivity, but it would be good to use the FXO ports if need be. Do you know if the hardware\libraries etc support the UK telephone network? (If they don't, is this planned?)

Is the 10 extension limit a 'hard' limit on the system or can existing extension licenses be purchased. I understand there's obviously resource constraints, but say we sell a 410 to a small office, who then grows to 11 or maybe 12 extensions - is the only option for them to upgrade to the CS425?

Of course it is a soft limit. But we don't want to end up selling every license one by one.

I know when I've tried early versions of the Asterisk analog cards, they didn't work well in the UK - due to differences with impedence and callerID. We generally use external ISDN gateways for PSTN Connectivity, but it would be good to use the FXO ports if need be. Do you know if the hardware\libraries etc support the UK telephone network? (If they don't, is this planned?)

Yea, the US phone system works slightly different than in the UK. The first focus was on USA, but later versions also consider DTMF caller-ID and polarity change disconnect indication. Not sure what applies to UK. The good news is that the hardware should be able to do it, it is a standard FXO hardware you find in every gateway.

• 1 month later...
Of course it is a soft limit. But we don't want to end up selling every license one by one.

Yea, the US phone system works slightly different than in the UK. The first focus was on USA, but later versions also consider DTMF caller-ID and polarity change disconnect indication. Not sure what applies to UK. The good news is that the hardware should be able to do it, it is a standard FXO hardware you find in every gateway.

What would be a compatible one or two port external analog FXO box to use until the built in FXO gateway can be used in Europe?

I'm currently trying a Sipura SPA 3000, but it doesn't seem compatible with pbxnsip for placing outgoing calls.

/Christian

We worked on a better international support in the latest version (posted in the cs410 forum), it is surprising how the different countries are using the analog wires. I would say it should work in Germany and Italy, possibly in UK.

In Sweden, it doesn't seem to properly handle tearing down the line when it should. (E.g. when the remote party has put his phone on hook.)

Perhaps you need to allow for different countries' disconnect tones.

/CW

Some countries use polarity change to indicate disconnect. Maybe Sweden belongs to this group.

I'm almost sure that Sweden uses polarity reversal, so if you can put that in as an option, the CS410 will propably work in Sweden. (And most likely in the Norway, Denmark, Finland as well.)

I also noticed some overheard noise when speaking loud into the handset, which indicates that an option to lower input/output gain might be handy.

The latest version (see post in this forum) uses AGC for this problem. And we keept the overall volume relatively low (that's ovciously what most analog handsets vendors do). That did the trick in our office, where we also had a nice long list of audio problems. Polarity change should be included in that version as well, so it is definitevely worth a try.

The latest version (see post in this forum) uses AGC for this problem. And we keept the overall volume relatively low (that's ovciously what most analog handsets vendors do). That did the trick in our office, where we also had a nice long list of audio problems. Polarity change should be included in that version as well, so it is definitevely worth a try.

I'm using update-2084.tgz for these tests, so the polarity change may either not be included in this build, or it doesn't work in Sweden. (It's as if it works at times, but sometimes not, so it's random.)

Regarding the volume and AGC, I think things would work better here if it would be possible to lower the volume just one notch, but the problem with the line staying up when it shouldn't is what concerns me most at this point.

• 5 months later...