Presence / Availability function

bskeddle

I have read: http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Counterpath

It states;

“If you want to use the presence feature of X-lite, you need to change the presence mode to "Presence Agent". The other settings, poll time and refresh interval are fine; you don't have to change them.”

I find that the Presence / Availability indicators are not updated regularly (or at all) on some of my extensions.

What does “Poll time” do?

What does “Refresh interval” do?

(Also, the http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Counterpath page needs to be updated as the picture shows a checkmark for ICE but later the page states: “You can also turn ICE off because the PBX does not support ICE.” Furthermore the page also states “Presence is also not supported yet by the PBX”)

I find that the Presence / Availability indicators are not updated regularly (or at all) on some of my extensions.

For presence, the extension itself is responsible for updating the state.

What does "Poll time" do?

What does "Refresh interval" do?

I believe they have no effect when using the agent mode.

Furthermore the page also states "Presence is also not supported yet by the PBX")

Well, the PBX is a "stupid" presence agent. We were thinking about making it a smart agent, which calculates the presence state based on registration and calls.

However, the whole presence story so far must be seen as a kind of sales hype; practically nobody used it in the PBX context (AFAIK). In the PBX environment, people look more for BLF and SLA. Maybe Microsoft OCS will change that.

For presence, the extension itself is responsible for updating the state.

I believe they have no effect when using the agent mode.

Well, the PBX is a "stupid" presence agent. We were thinking about making it a smart agent, which calculates the presence state based on registration and calls.

However, the whole presence story so far must be seen as a kind of sales hype; practically nobody used it in the PBX context (AFAIK). In the PBX environment, people look more for BLF and SLA. Maybe Microsoft OCS will change that.

hello,

there is something wrong with the "presence" with xlite. (not sure if pbxnsip or xlite)

from my tests it just stopps working after awhile. i didn't dig deep.

matt

• 3 months later...
hello,

there is something wrong with the "presence" with xlite. (not sure if pbxnsip or xlite)

from my tests it just stopps working after awhile. i didn't dig deep.

matt

I find the same problem. It ONLY works at registration/initialization of an extension.. then does not update.

(I don’t know if it related.. but when a chat session is initiated a chat window opens on the initiators computer; however when the other party replies, a 2nd chat window opens over the original chat window with the reply and then supersedes the original window.)

Seems to me this could probably be fixed by having a PBXnSIP engineer call the Counterpath people.