White cs410 will not run after updating - no connectivity

Richard Thorne

I have recently purchased a cs410 which is a white model. I have tried following the Installing the IP-PBX Appliance instructions and updated the firmware per the instructions. The box rebooted fine after this. I then downloaded the MSP update file (what is MSP by the way?) and followed the instructions to upload this to the device. I then restarted the system per the instructions, and it will not come back to life. The power and run lights come on solid green, and the LAN light indicates network traffic. The run light does not flash however, and the device can no longer be seen on the network. I have tried power-cycling several times with the same results. The run light just stays on, regardless of how much time I leave the device.

Is there a way of recovering the device from this situation please? I am unable to gain access to it via SSH, and it doesn't respond to a ping.

Hope someone can assist.

Thanks

Richard

I have recently purchased a cs410 which is a white model. I have tried following the Installing the IP-PBX Appliance instructions and updated the firmware per the instructions. The box rebooted fine after this. I then downloaded the MSP update file (what is MSP by the way?) and followed the instructions to upload this to the device. I then restarted the system per the instructions, and it will not come back to life. The power and run lights come on solid green, and the LAN light indicates network traffic. The run light does not flash however, and the device can no longer be seen on the network. I have tried power-cycling several times with the same results. The run light just stays on, regardless of how much time I leave the device.

Are you sure you didn't hose your device uploading something you should't upload? I've done countless upgrades, and they are not MSP files.

They are .tgz (compressed) files.

ie: http://pbxnsip.com/cs410/update-3.2.0.3143.tgz

And you get them from:

http://pbxnsip.com/software

Thanks for the response.

It was this part of the update process that the box has failed after...

Updating the MSP

Once that is done it is necessary to repeat the step and use the msp update file to update the DSP firmware. The system will now be running version 3.0 and go to system software update tab and load the update-msp.tgz via browse, then save, then restart and the system is running the latest MSP.

This is part of the instructions at http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Installi...P-PBX_Appliance

I do hope that following these instructions hasn't trashed the device, as that's a pretty grim introduction to a product.

Richard

It was this part of the update process that the box has failed after...

Updating the MSP

Once that is done it is necessary to repeat the step and use the msp update file to update the DSP firmware. The system will now be running version 3.0 and go to system software update tab and load the update-msp.tgz via browse, then save, then restart and the system is running the latest MSP.

This is part of the instructions at http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Installi...P-PBX_Appliance

I do hope that following these instructions hasn't trashed the device, as that's a pretty grim introduction to a product.

Where did you get the white box? So it has only one Ethernet port on the back? Maybe you can try to swap it into a black box with two ports.

The problem with that box is that if you apply the software update, it will get tricky to get back to the back, as the IP config probably got screwed up.

Thanks for your reply.

It is indeed a model with a single port on the back. Unfortunately, it was an eBay purchase, so I won't be able to swap it for a black one. Do you know whether this a recoverable situation, or do I now have a very expensive brick?

Thanks

Richard

Where did you get the white box? So it has only one Ethernet port on the back? Maybe you can try to swap it into a black box with two ports.

The problem with that box is that if you apply the software update, it will get tricky to get back to the back, as the IP config probably got screwed up.

It is indeed a model with a single port on the back. Unfortunately, it was an eBay purchase, so I won't be able to swap it for a black one. Do you know whether this a recoverable situation, or do I now have a very expensive brick?

Talk to sales of pbxnsip, chances are you get a replacement with a black box.

Well, got no where useful with UK sales, though they did offer me a discount on a licence with "upgrade protection" if I buy a new box. Apparently you need to have upgrade protection to allow you to download and upgrade to new firmware.

Sadly this now counts as the shortest lived bit of kit I've ever owned or even used in my 25 years of working in IT and comms. From plugging in, to dead beyond repair in under an hour. This also makes it, in terms of cost per hour of use, the most expensive bit of kit I've ever had my hands on too.

I am extremely disappointed.

Richard

:(

Well, got no where useful with UK sales, though they did offer me a discount on a licence with "upgrade protection" if I buy a new box. Apparently you need to have upgrade protection to allow you to download and upgrade to new firmware.

Sadly this now counts as the shortest lived bit of kit I've ever owned or even used in my 25 years of working in IT and comms. From plugging in, to dead beyond repair in under an hour. This also makes it, in terms of cost per hour of use, the most expensive bit of kit I've ever had my hands on too.

I am extremely disappointed.

Richard

:(

Richard,

Sorry to hear that.

But in all fairness it was an ebay purchase.

matt

True enough Matt, but it's more annoying that had I ignored the instructions I'd still have a working box. I can't just put this one down to eBay. Most devices in my experience have some form of recovery from a failed firmware upgrade. It seems that this doesn't. I suppose I'm just glad it didn't happen on a client's kit.

Richard

Richard,

Sorry to hear that.

But in all fairness it was an ebay purchase.

matt

True enough Matt, but it's more annoying that had I ignored the instructions I'd still have a working box. I can't just put this one down to eBay. Most devices in my experience have some form of recovery from a failed firmware upgrade. It seems that this doesn't. I suppose I'm just glad it didn't happen on a client's kit.

Richard

Richard,

I forget the specifics, but i don't think i could quite follow the instructions for upgrading either....hmm

hate that.

tx

matt

• 2 months later...

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I also have a white cs410 (but mine has two ethernet ports on the back. 1 WAN and 1 LAN). I also did a firmware update to version 3.3.1.3177 and it worked fine. I then proceeded to update the MSP as per the cs410 wiki from the pbx website and after it finished I can no longer get into the device. You're not the only one man.....I wish we could get this resolved. I too have a difficult time believing there is nothing that can be done at this point. Such is life I guess.

You're welcome to hijack away. I'm sorry that you too have suffered a similar problem. It's astonishing that by rigidly following installation instructions, you brick the box and that there seems to be no recovery. How can any company make kit that requires firmware updates, without some form of recovery mode? Either they are almost criminally incompetent, or there is some way that no-one seems to know.

I've not binned my cs410 yet, but it now sits in its box as a sad reminder to not buy cheap IP telephony kit again.

If you get any better luck than me, please share it here.

Regards

Richard

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I also have a white cs410 (but mine has two ethernet ports on the back. 1 WAN and 1 LAN). I also did a firmware update to version 3.3.1.3177 and it worked fine. I then proceeded to update the MSP as per the cs410 wiki from the pbx website and after it finished I can no longer get into the device. You're not the only one man.....I wish we could get this resolved. I too have a difficult time believing there is nothing that can be done at this point. Such is life I guess.

Richard, All hope is not lost!! :rolleyes:

If you downloaded 3.3.1.3177 or other current firmwares there is good a chance you can still work with it. In one of my other threads, I was able to determine that there is a bug in the code for networking. http://forum.pbxnsip.com/index.php?showtopic=2696

There are a couple of ways to go about finding or changing the ip address. TouchTone, Factory Reset, Packet sniffing, Educated Guess and last resort... brute force. Lets try a few before giving up hope. I do like the pbxnsip system and I think it is worth trying a few more thing before sending it to its final rest.

Determining the IP address using Touch Tone

Factory Reset:

By holding in the reset button until the fxo lights come on solid and then power cycle the box

System should now default to 192.168.1.99 mask 255.255.255.0

Packet Sniffing:

1. Connect the appliance directly to your computer with a crossover cable.

2. Run Wireshark (or any packet sniffing software), start capture, fire up cs410 unit.

3. Look for
    any
    traffic, specifically the system does some dns lookups and also some NTP requests. This should show the
    source IP
    the unit is using.

Educated Guess:

We know the unit has several default and or internal addresses it could be using. Try pinging the ip addresses from the list below. I would recommend the use of an ethernet crossover cable to limit any external influences. Also dont forget to change your computers IP and subnet mask to match the ones below.

1. PBX IP address:192.168.1.99 Mask:255.255.255.0

2. PBX IP address:192.168.192.168 Mask:255.255.255.0

3. PBX IP address:1.1.1.1 Mask:255.255.255.0

4. One more i cannot find right now..

Brute Force:

1. Get a Hammer..... NO! wait there is a console port that forum member Kevin made a comment to:

2. The system I believe is an OEM reference board, I did have a diagram or URL somewhere. I'll try to get a pinout for the console port.

Hope one of these helped.

-Isaac

• 4 weeks later...