TAPI or WebLinkRemoteCall with Home-Users fixed phones

Jan Boguslawski

Hi @all :)

please imagine a situation were user's work sometime's from home and like to use their own fixed or mobile phone to do the office work. This user's also like to use remotly the TAPI or Remote Call initiation via Web-Links like described in the wiki topic Click to Dial.

1. Should this users be configured with Hot Desking to their home / mobile phone numbers or do we need to forward all calls to the number preferred by the home office worker?
  2. What might be the best way to provide the users a self maintenance service for changing their account configuration for this home office situation and back to standard office use at any time?
  3. In both cases: TAPI and Click2Dial-Web-Links is it simply a call (sip-invite) made by the system to the user? :D

Thanks,

Jan

The home user should use hot desking to make the family's life easier. Otherwise if the phone always rings in the office and at home at the same time, people at home get nuts...

The TSP uses a proprietary method (still based on SIP) to talk to the PBX. That makes it easy to use the TSP both in the office and also from home.

At the moment click to dial works only if there is a registration. A better integration with the cell phone will come in 4.0, so that you can also click to call the cell phone.

So, just to make it clear:

At the moment it is not possible for a user that is hotdesking at a remote location (cell phone) to initiate calls via TAPI or Click To dial?

But this will be possible with pbxnsip version 4?

When would that be?

Cheerio, s.

At the moment it is not possible for a user that is hotdesking at a remote location (cell phone) to initiate calls via TAPI or Click To dial?

Well for the TAPI stuff there is no need for hot desking. When you are using an extension, that extension is your own extension and it does not depend on where you are sitting. If you initiate a call, the phone where you are hot desking at will ring (not your own phone, if you have one).

But this will be possible with pbxnsip version 4?

When would that be?

The above description is already in version 3. Maybe I don't get the point here?!

Your ARE getting the point:)

But I can not get this to work.

No matter how I redirect calls to my cellphone, it does not ring, when I initiate a call vie TAPI/CtD.

I tried hotdesking with my cell number. When my extension gets called directly, my cell rings as expected.

When I initiate a call vie TAPI/CtD it does not.

Same with unconditional forwarding and "call this number, when not registered"

I am relieved, that this should already be working, but I am also concerned, because I can not find the error in my configuration.

Any ideas?

Cheerio, s.

• 3 weeks later...

This issue is still not resolved, and I am not shure, if we meen the same thing.

I have a roadwarrier user. He has extension 53 in our pbxnsip.

He is not registered at the pbxnsip, but is hotdesking at his cellphone at the number 0049 179 1234567. this is configured through his personal webpage on the pbxnsip.

If his internal extension is called (53), his cellphone will ring, and the call is connected when he picks up.

If he tries to initiate a call vie TAPI, nothing happens. Silence!

The pbxnsip-log does not show ANY SIP-Traffic at all.

This behaviour contradicts the statements in your last post.

Could someone please confirm and test, this is actually working in version 3.3?

Cheers, sean

This issue is still not resolved, and I am not shure, if we meen the same thing.

I have a roadwarrier user. He has extension 53 in our pbxnsip.

He is not registered at the pbxnsip, but is hotdesking at his cellphone at the number 0049 179 1234567. this is configured through his personal webpage on the pbxnsip.

If his internal extension is called (53), his cellphone will ring, and the call is connected when he picks up.

This behaviour contradicts the statements in your last post.

Could someone please confirm and test, this is actually working in version 3.3?

Cheers, sean

Just for testing can you register a phone on 53 and then try the TAPI/CtD?

ok I tried this with the following results.

I am mainly interested in TAPI so I did not test CtD.

Weired behavior:

Extension 53 is registered. Extension 53 is hotdesking at extension 214.

As expected, if I call extension 115 from another phone (extension 118) the extension 214 rings. Everything is fine.

Now extension 53 is hotdesking at the cellphone, i.e. 00491791234567.

If I call 53 from extension 118, the extension 53 rings :D . Hotdesking-setting is ignored.

Remember: I did not even use TAPI jet.

Then I remembered, that you were so kind as to implement a much desired feature, as described in this thread

http://forum.pbxnsip.com/index.php?showtopic=1051&hl=

To test, if this feature had any impact on the matter at hand, I set multiple_hot_destking to false (restarted the service),... to no avail.

Same behaviour.

It seems that the situation got even worse with the registered extension, since hotdesking at the cellphone does not work at all, not even when the extension is called localy whithout TAPI (which did work, when the extension was not registered).

Unconditional call-diversion to the cell phone does however work (not with TAPI).

If you need more information about our setup and configuration, to resolve this issue, please let me know.

I hope I am not to confusing. I appreciate your help, as this is a much desired feature for our road warriers.

Cheers, s.

Now extension 53 is hotdesking at the cellphone, i.e. 00491791234567.

If I call 53 from extension 118, the extension 53 rings :D . Hotdesking-setting is ignored.

Eeehhhhh.... You can only hot desk on an extension; not on the cell phone. If you want the cell phone to ring, you can fork the call to the cell phone.

Eeehhhhh.... You can only hot desk on an extension; not on the cell phone. If you want the cell phone to ring, you can fork the call to the cell phone.

I thought we already established, that hotdeking at a remote location (cell phone) works.

Well for the TAPI stuff there is no need for hot desking. When you are using an extension, that extension is your own extension and it does not depend on where you are sitting. If you initiate a call, the phone where you are hot desking at will ring (not your own phone, if you have one).

For some reason it does not work, when the extension is registered, but that would be ok in our case, as our users never register.

The initial question was: Why doesn't the invocation of a call through TAPI work, when hotdesking remote, and will it work in version 4.

Btw, when initiating a call through TAPI, call Forking, as you suggest, doesn't work either.

It is realy disappointing, that you are stuck with registered SIP-phones, when it comes to TAPI or CtD.

Cheers, s.

• 4 weeks later...

All in all I have to say, this thread was a very disappointing experience.

pbxnsip A says, the feature is already working in version 3

pbxnsip B says, the feature is not working at all, though I have proof, that this statement is wrong.

After I point out this contradiction, no comments are made at all.

No comments either on the second main question, wether the required fearture will work in future versions.

As a paying customer, I would have expected a little more enthusiasm.

We were about to programm an RCC-Server (which we gladly would have made publicly available), to make it possible to controll calls remotely through Office communicator and OCS.

But since the TAPI-interface is not working reliably, and the support here seems to stall, we stopped the project.

Cheers, s.