Supported codecs

asat232

Is it expected to implement support G729 and SPEEX codecs by pbxnsip? Looking sdp (invite from pbxnsip) i saw only codes 0-pcmu, 8-pcma, 9-g722

2-(i don't remember exactly), 3-GSM.

Well, G729 is a licensed codec(i.e., you need to have license to use it). pbxnsip has been supporting this codec for a long time. Check out the Admin->Settings->Ports page. You will see the supported codecs.

Yes, for sure, G729 required licensing, but how it can be enabled. I went as you told me to Ports page and set in codec Preferences for G729 higher priority and again 18 is missing in sdp media description when I making call.

audio 62234 RTP/AVP 0 8 9 2 3 101

a=rtpmap:0 pcmu/8000

a=rtpmap:8 pcma/8000

a=rtpmap:9 g722/8000

a=rtpmap:2 g726-32/8000

a=rtpmap:3 gsm/8000

a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000

a=fmtp:101 0-16

a=sendrecv

Yes, for sure, G729 required licensing, but how it can be enabled. I went as you told me to Ports page and set in codec Preferences for G729 higher priority and again 18 is missing in sdp media description when I making call.

audio 62234 RTP/AVP 0 8 9 2 3 101

a=rtpmap:0 pcmu/8000

a=rtpmap:8 pcma/8000

a=rtpmap:9 g722/8000

a=rtpmap:2 g726-32/8000

a=rtpmap:3 gsm/8000

a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000

a=fmtp:101 0-16

a=sendrecv

Depends on the license you have. When you bought the license, have you requested the G729 license? If not and if you want the G729 license, please contact sales@pbxnsip.com.

I asked you about G729 and SPEEX, because from my point of view their implementations are working well on Windows Mobile platform (with respect to limited computational resources and narrow band). The advantages of speex are comparable quality, and no need to pay for license. Therefore I’ m interested whether its expected to support speex.

I asked you about G729 and SPEEX, because from my point of view their implementations are working well on Windows Mobile platform (with respect to limited computational resources and narrow band). The advantages of speex are comparable quality, and no need to pay for license. Therefore I’ m interested whether its expected to support speex.

Speex is very nice; there is only one catch--speed. While this is no problem for a softphone running on a GHz CPU, it is for a PBX that potentially has to run ten or fifty of those calls at the same time. For example, when a user presses the hold button, the PBX has no choice but encode the music with the codec. Another example is people waiting in the ACD, there you have different annoucements; others might be in the mailbox.

I know, the optimistic case is that there are only simple calls with codec pass-through. But we also must think about the cases where that is not possible.

Speex is fortunately "free". Of course, we like that part! And it is good quality. We also like that part. :rolleyes:

I would say, it is only a question of time when we have it. We'll leave it then to the customer if they want to enable it or not.