VLAN's and provisioning with snom 320's don't work

joso

i have setup multiple vlan's on my dell layer 3 switches internally. Multiple subnet's reside such as 192.168.2.x, 192.168.5.x and 192.168.6.x. the pbxnsip server sits at 192.168.2.19. For testing, i set a port to use vlan 6 (192.168.6.x) and hooked up a snom 320 to it. the dhcp 66 option is set at 192.168.2.19 on vlan 6. I reset the phone and it picks up a 192.168.6.53 address just fine, but i get a prov.request when trying to provision. if the phone was on any subnet other than the pbxnsip server's subnet it would not provision. i even move the pbxnsip server to 192.168.6.19 and then it worked again.

I also have xlite softphone users on several different subnets and it takes a while to register with pbxnsip and when it does, i get one way audio.

Does the pbxnsip server have to be on the same vlan as all the phones? what do i have to do to make this work?

Joso

i have setup multiple vlan's on my dell layer 3 switches internally. Multiple subnet's reside such as 192.168.2.x, 192.168.5.x and 192.168.6.x. the pbxnsip server sits at 192.168.2.19. For testing, i set a port to use vlan 6 (192.168.6.x) and hooked up a snom 320 to it. the dhcp 66 option is set at 192.168.2.19 on vlan 6. I reset the phone and it picks up a 192.168.6.53 address just fine, but i get a prov.request when trying to provision. if the phone was on any subnet other than the pbxnsip server's subnet it would not provision. i even move the pbxnsip server to 192.168.6.19 and then it worked again.

I also have xlite softphone users on several different subnets and it takes a while to register with pbxnsip and when it does, i get one way audio.

Does the pbxnsip server have to be on the same vlan as all the phones? what do i have to do to make this work?

How do you route between the VLANs? Remember that VLANs should have the impression that they are different LANs ("virtual LANs" :D ). That means you need to route between the LANs.

The alternative is that you run the PBX in multiple VLANs at the same time. That means you have to assign an IP address for every VLAN. Not an easy task in Windows! I believe in Linux it is comparatively easy (if you can deal with bash). Then the PBX would have three IP addresses, in the above example maybe 192.168.2.123, 192.168.5.123 and 192.168.6.123.

Auto provisioning is another tricky topic. The problem is the factory reset. When the phone gets a factory reset, it starts in VLAN 0 (no VLAN) and gets the configuration from there. The PBX will happily provide the VLAN number and then the phone will reboot and try the VLAN. Then the same PBX must be there in the same VLAN! I believe the only way to get that working is to use option 66 with two different DHCP servers in each VLAN that provides the different IP addresses of the PBX in each VLAN. In other words: Forget it. You will probably have to manually set up the VLAN on the phone and start the provisioning from there. And tell the users to stay away from factory reset.