Dynamically Change PNP

Bill H

I have read the WIKI/Professional Services webpage and I can't make any sense out of it.

https://www.pbxnsipsupport.com/index.php?_m...kbarticleid=506

I am using Version 4.0.0.3204 (Win32) not sure exactly how I got it.

Anyway, I don't see this From the WIKI: "When the PBX starts, it reads the file "pnp.xml". "

I can't find a pnp.xml file.

-----

Also from the WIKI: "For every file that should be processed during the plug and play configuration, you need to add an entry. The name tag in the file entry indicates which file should be read from the html directory. "

OK this seems simple, but where is the "polycom_master.xml"???

This is from the pnp.xml (which I can't find):

<file name="polycom_master.xml" encoding="xml">

<pattern>!^(0004f2[0-9a-f]{6})\.cfg!\1!</pattern>

<vendor>Polycom, Inc.</vendor>

</file>

Is this the current method for Dynamically Changing PNP files or is there something newer?

Or am I just reading it wrong?

Hi Bill, first of all the whole PnP topic is easy if you just want to use it the way it is (that is where the name comes from)... Once you want to change it things get messy.

My recommendation is to use the PBX as tftp server in cases where you want to do your own setup. Then you can just drop the files that you need into the tftp directory. What you have to drop there depends on the phone type; but there is plenty of documentation available for each phone type. You can also mix the "run as tftp server" mode with the plain pnp type--some phone can use the plain pnp mode and other phones can pull their config from the tftp directory. For example, ifyou want to have a special setup for the receptionist, you can put the special files into the tftp directory and leave the others with the standard provisioning.

The files in the "generated" directory may help you getting the files that you need to put into the tftp directory. Think of them as templates that you can copy and edit with a text editor.

Hi Bill, first of all the whole PnP topic is easy if you just want to use it the way it is (that is where the name comes from)... Once you want to change it things get messy.

My recommendation is to use the PBX as tftp server in cases where you want to do your own setup. Then you can just drop the files that you need into the tftp directory. What you have to drop there depends on the phone type; but there is plenty of documentation available for each phone type. You can also mix the "run as tftp server" mode with the plain pnp type--some phone can use the plain pnp mode and other phones can pull their config from the tftp directory. For example, ifyou want to have a special setup for the receptionist, you can put the special files into the tftp directory and leave the others with the standard provisioning.

The files in the "generated" directory may help you getting the files that you need to put into the tftp directory. Think of them as templates that you can copy and edit with a text editor.

OK, so messy is my middle name. :D

This isn't the first thing I got into that was not easy. ;)

I have seen the files in the "Generated" folder and I understand Polycom configuration methods.

My question is upstream from there: Where is the pnp.xml file????

I re-read the WIKI several times and now I am beginning to understand the PBXNSIP method to modify the file(s).

But this is done in the pnp.xml and it (pnp.xml) can't be found.

I even switched to 3.4.0.3201 (Win32) and it still isn't there.

It isn't practical in this instance to use the TFTP server to create my own configuration files.

Any ideas??? Anyone????

• 2 weeks later...
OK, so messy is my middle name. :blink:

This isn't the first thing I got into that was not easy. :)

I have seen the files in the "Generated" folder and I understand Polycom configuration methods.

My question is upstream from there: Where is the pnp.xml file????

I re-read the WIKI several times and now I am beginning to understand the PBXNSIP method to modify the file(s).

But this is done in the pnp.xml and it (pnp.xml) can't be found.

I even switched to 3.4.0.3201 (Win32) and it still isn't there.

It isn't practical in this instance to use the TFTP server to create my own configuration files.

Any ideas??? Anyone????

I would love to see some explaination. I have almost the same thing. I have snom phones and a few users want custom settings. I can write my xml file and put it in the HTML directory, for example snom_320.xml but thiese settings go to all Snom 320. How can I make it go to only one phone? Can I use the mac address in the file name and if so what does the sample file name look like? Please help

Tom

I would love to see some explaination. I have almost the same thing. I have snom phones and a few users want custom settings. I can write my xml file and put it in the HTML directory, for example snom_320.xml but thiese settings go to all Snom 320. How can I make it go to only one phone? Can I use the mac address in the file name and if so what does the sample file name look like? Please help

Tom

Bill, the pnp.xml file is built into the binary. The latest version for 3.x is attached here.

Tom, you are correct in that if you keep a custom file in the html folder, it applies to all the phones (of that model). The 'generated' folder contains the files specific to the phone. The issue you will face is even if you modify the file for that phone (under generated/'domain'/'extension'/), PBX will overwrite these file.

Solution to this would be if PBX did not generate the requested file if it already exists. Something to be considered in the future versions.

pnp.xml