auto matically NOT use SIP Trunk if bandwidth low?

mattlandis

This is a hairbrained idea:

do any pbx's have the feature that it checks the current bandwidth/ voip MOS score (using something like http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/2009/12/eve...ified-when.html ) then changed dialing rules?

The service mentioned above has an API.

The reason I ask is just yesterday I had a site that has pstn and sip trunks and the bandwidth on the DSL just went to zero. We could send all calls to pstn over that time ...it would be nice to get an email that the pbx did this automatically....then of course switch back automatically...

any thots? Am i thinking about pbx's too much? ;-)

matt

This is a hairbrained idea:

do any pbx's have the feature that it checks the current bandwidth/ voip MOS score (using something like http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/2009/12/eve...ified-when.html ) then changed dialing rules?

The service mentioned above has an API.

The reason I ask is just yesterday I had a site that has pstn and sip trunks and the bandwidth on the DSL just went to zero. We could send all calls to pstn over that time ...it would be nice to get an email that the pbx did this automatically....then of course switch back automatically...

any thots? Am i thinking about pbx's too much? ;-)

matt

Well, what we definitevely do in version 4 is QoS reporting (that is one ofthe reasons why version 4 takes a little bit longer :blink: ). So far we just push the reports out together with the CDR. But you are right, it is a good idea to define rules after which the PBX takes a trunk down. For example, if the packet drop rate gets higher than lets say 10 %, the PBX would mark the trunk as bad for the next hour.

The alternative is that we disconnect the call when a admin-definable threshold has been reached. That might help to keep other calls which are on the same internet connection in good shape. Of course a report must be sent in such a case to the admin.

Needless to say, this is all not beautiful. Better make sure that the QoS is fine. BTW found a good book on this topic: "Deploying IP and MPLS QoS for Multiservice Networks: Theory & Practice (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Networking)", John William Evans, Clarence Filsfils. I did not read it (yet), but the ToC looks promising.