Intermitent System Prompts

jlumby

I have a Windows 2003 server running 3.4.0.3202 that has an uptime of about 60 days. When checking voicemail, or calling an auto attendant, most of the time there is just silence. This seems to happen more frequently the longer that the server has been online. A reboot seems to fix the problem for a while. I have done a packet capture to verify that there is 2 way RTP. Is this a known issue with the version, or are there any workarounds available?

On a second glance I see the following line on the status page:

(93MB/2046MB 25% 1760960164-1709445284)

What do these numbers mean??? On the PNXnSIP support site it says what the 93MB/2046MB means, however the other numbers are not described (25% 1760960164-1709445284) The 1760960164-1709445284 concerns me since other pbxes that are not having an issue end in a -0

I have a Windows 2003 server running 3.4.0.3202 that has an uptime of about 60 days. When checking voicemail, or calling an auto attendant, most of the time there is just silence. This seems to happen more frequently the longer that the server has been online. A reboot seems to fix the problem for a while. I have done a packet capture to verify that there is 2 way RTP. Is this a known issue with the version, or are there any workarounds available?

On a second glance I see the following line on the status page:

(93MB/2046MB 25% 1760960164-1709445284)

What do these numbers mean??? On the PNXnSIP support site it says what the 93MB/2046MB means, however the other numbers are not described (25% 1760960164-1709445284) The 1760960164-1709445284 concerns me since other pbxes that are not having an issue end in a -0

Well, the 1760960164-1709445284 means that 1760960164 bytes have been allocated and freed using regular library calls, 1709445284 have been freed. So 51 MB are currrenty being used by the PBX. The problem is that freeing memory is tricky; sometimes the OS cannot use it any more and it just keeps lingering in the process space. It happens only if the PBX needs chunks bigger than 4 MB. Is there anything (e.g. tftp directory) that is bigger than 4 MB?

The TFTP has firmware for many different models of phones in it, so it is 135Mb, and the server is also doing call recording, so the recordings directory is a few gigs. Do you think either of these point to my issue with it not playing system recordings, or am I looking in the wrong place. I just figured those memory numbers might be the issue since they look significantly different from every other PBXnSIP install, and the others are not having issues.

Do you think either of these point to my issue with it not playing system recordings, or am I looking in the wrong place.

Would be interesting to know if there are recordings bigger than 4 MB.

It is a warning sign, and the next interesting step would be to hit the 2 GB allocated limit (31 bits). If this is a critical server and you have the chance to restart the service at some time consider doing that until we know what is bigger than 4 MB.

I did a search of the entire PBX directory for files larger than 4mb Other than PBXCTRL.EXE I came back with hundreds of call recordings, most that averaged around 10 meg, and a few that were up to 50 meg, in addition to that, there were 2 non call recording files that were about 6 meg each. One was a voicemail where the person hung up, however the voicemail system kept recording silence for 1 hour, and the other was a name recording where there was nothing but noise in the background. Is there any way we can figure out which extension the voicemail name recording belongs to so that we can properly remove it, or is it OK to just delete the file?

After restarting the system last night, the problem has disappeared, and the current memory line reads:

(uptime: 0 days 15:39:21) (47MB/2046MB 18% 8228480-0) WAV cache: 1

I did a search of the entire PBX directory for files larger than 4mb Other than PBXCTRL.EXE I came back with hundreds of call recordings, most that averaged around 10 meg, and a few that were up to 50 meg, in addition to that, there were 2 non call recording files that were about 6 meg each. One was a voicemail where the person hung up, however the voicemail system kept recording silence for 1 hour, and the other was a name recording where there was nothing but noise in the background. Is there any way we can figure out which extension the voicemail name recording belongs to so that we can properly remove it, or is it OK to just delete the file?

After restarting the system last night, the problem has disappeared, and the current memory line reads:

(uptime: 0 days 15:39:21) (47MB/2046MB 18% 8228480-0) WAV cache: 1

Yea, I think we need to expand the size of the managed memory to 16 MB; this will take some more memory but at least we don't run into the problem of having to release it. We'll include that in the next 3.5 build.

50 MB recordings sound unreasonable to me. That would be 8 hours of recording. Unless you don't compress, then it is just one hour.