Time on Phones

Bill H

I have a CS-410 connected to a static public ip address on the WAN and I am using the built in DHCP server of the CS-410.

DHCP Settings

Start: 192.168.1.0

End: 192.168.1.200

DHCP Gateway: 192.168.1.199 (This is the static LAN ip address of the CS-410, but I'm not sure if this it what should be here)

The phones are on a separate physical LAN network from the computers in the office. (no sharing of the LAN)

I get a DHCP address for the phones but the time (clock) on the phones isn't correct.

I use Aastra phones and have set the NTP Server address in the phones for us.pool.ntp.org

I believe the IP Routing List is used to allow phones on the LAN to go to the Internet.

The IP Routing List is set to: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.199 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Where:

192.168.1.0 is the subnet of the phones

255.255.255.0 is the subnet mask

192.168.1.199 is the LAN static ip address of the CS-410

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the public static ip address

So, should I be able to access the Internet on the phones through the CS-410???

If so then how would I do it?

I have a CS-410 connected to a static public ip address on the WAN and I am using the built in DHCP server of the CS-410.

DHCP Settings

Start: 192.168.1.0

End: 192.168.1.200

DHCP Gateway: 192.168.1.199 (This is the static LAN ip address of the CS-410, but I'm not sure if this it what should be here)

The phones are on a separate physical LAN network from the computers in the office. (no sharing of the LAN)

I get a DHCP address for the phones but the time (clock) on the phones isn't correct.

I use Aastra phones and have set the NTP Server address in the phones for us.pool.ntp.org

I believe the IP Routing List is used to allow phones on the LAN to go to the Internet.

The IP Routing List is set to: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.199 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Where:

192.168.1.0 is the subnet of the phones

255.255.255.0 is the subnet mask

192.168.1.199 is the LAN static ip address of the CS-410

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the public static ip address

So, should I be able to access the Internet on the phones through the CS-410???

If so then how would I do it?

Well, if you have set "us.pool.ntp.org" on the aastra phones, then the phones will try to get the time directly from that address. PBX (CS410) does not come in between.

I think Aastra phone have couple of settings regarding the time

time server disabled: 0

time server1: address 1 (Ex: us.pool.ntp.org)

time server2: address 2 (Ex: pool.ntp.org)

Well, if you have set "us.pool.ntp.org" on the aastra phones, then the phones will try to get the time directly from that address. PBX (CS410) does not come in between.

I think Aastra phone have couple of settings regarding the time

time server disabled: 0

time server1: address 1 (Ex: us.pool.ntp.org)

time server2: address 2 (Ex: pool.ntp.org)

You said: PBX (CS410) does not come in between.

However, it looks like it does

If I connect a computer to the CS-410 LAN I get a DHCP address as expected but I can not browse or ping URLs or direct IP addresses.

This indicates that the CS-410 is not allowing its LAN to communicate through to its WAN. (WAN is where the Internet connection is.

Is there a setting I need to look at to accomplish this???

You said: PBX (CS410) does not come in between.

However, it looks like it does

If I connect a computer to the CS-410 LAN I get a DHCP address as expected but I can not browse or ping URLs or direct IP addresses.

This indicates that the CS-410 is not allowing its LAN to communicate through to its WAN. (WAN is where the Internet connection is.

Is there a setting I need to look at to accomplish this???

What is set as the "IP Gateway" on the "Admin->System->IP Setup" page? Try setting that as "DHCP Gateway" on the "Admin->System->DHCP" page, if it is not set already.

What is set as the "IP Gateway" on the "Admin->System->IP Setup" page? Try setting that as "DHCP Gateway" on the "Admin->System->DHCP" page, if it is not set already.

LAN Port:

Address Type: Static

IP Address 192.168.1.199

Netmask 255.255.255.0)

IP Gateway 192.168.1.199

WAN Port:

IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (public Static Address)

Netmask 255.255.255.240

IP Gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (router for Public IP address)

Server:

DNS Server 1 208.67.222.222

DNS Server 2 208.67.220.220

NTP Server: us.pool.ntp.org

---------------------------------------

DHCP Settings

DHCP Interface LAN

Address range start: 192.168.1.0

Address range end: 192.168.1.200

DHCP Gateway: 192.168.1.199

I added 123 to NTP Port on "Port Settings Page" and directed phones to go to 192.168.1.199 for NTP and that works OK.

However, I am still unable to access the Internet on a computer that is connected to the LAN.

LAN Port:

IP Address 192.168.1.199

Netmask 255.255.255.0)

IP Gateway 192.168.1.199

WAN Port:

IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (public Static Address)

Netmask 255.255.255.240

IP Gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (router for Public IP address)

Server:

DNS Server 1 208.67.222.222

DNS Server 2 208.67.220.220

NTP Server: us.pool.ntp.org

DHCP Settings

DHCP Interface LAN

Address range start: 192.168.1.0

Address range end: 192.168.1.200

DHCP Gateway: 192.168.1.199

I added 123 to NTP Port on "Port Settings Page" and directed phones to go to 192.168.1.199 for NTP and that works OK.

However, I am still unable to access the Internet on a computer that is connected to the LAN.

You have 192.168.1.199 as the IP gateway for the LAN interface. But your WAN should take you out to the internet if setup right. So, you do not run the DHCP server on the CS410, can you accecs the internet?

If you have multiple DHCP servers on the network, then I am not certain of the behavior.

You have 192.168.1.199 as the IP gateway for the LAN interface. But your WAN should take you out to the internet if setup right. So, you do not run the DHCP server on the CS410, can you accecs the internet?

If you have multiple DHCP servers on the network, then I am certain of the behavior.

You wrote:

You have 192.168.1.199 as the IP gateway for the LAN interface. That is correct.

But your WAN should take you out to the internet if setup right.

The WAN is set up right because my SIP Trunk registers OK with the provider, the Email works OK and the CS-410 is able to go to us.pool.ntp.org

So, you do not run the DHCP server on the CS410, can you access the internet? I tried that and re-tested again and I still can't get out to the Internet from the LAN port of the CS-410.

If you have multiple DHCP servers on the network, then I am certain of the behavior.

That isn't the case here.

This is a lab test and all I have connected is the CS-410 on the Public IP Address, 1 phone plugged directly into the LAN of CS-410 and 1 computer plugged into the PC Port of the phone.

(Aastra phones have a built in switch)

The trouble seems to be that nothing on the CS_410 LAN is able to go out on the Internet.

I realize it looks like a routing/gateway address issue from the CS-410 LAN to the CS-410 WAN ports.

I am sure others have used the CS-410 in the same manner as I am here, (as a pth for the phones to the Internet) so what was their solution?

You wrote:

You have 192.168.1.199 as the IP gateway for the LAN interface. That is correct.

I am sure others have used the CS-410 in the same manner as I am here, (as a pth for the phones to the Internet) so what was their solution?

The reason I pointed at the .199 address is both the IP address and the gateway address are the same. You need to change the gateway address to something like 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the default gateway is)

The reason I pointed at the .199 address is both the IP address and the gateway address are the same. You need to change the gateway address to something like 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the default gateway is)

You wrote: You need to change the gateway address to something like 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the default gateway is)

The CS-410 IS the default gateway from the LAN to the WAN and it is 192.168.1.199 and that does not work.

There are no additional Routers in this configuration.

Just the CS-410 all by itself and devices on the LAN can not get to the Internet.

Well, the CS410 does not have a battery-powered realtime clock. If you cant get to the Internet, I see only two solutions. First, use a PC-based PBX host that has all this stuff and you can just set the clock during the installation. Second is to install to a NTP server on a PC in the office. If you are able to run a NTP service on that computer, you can probably as well run the PBX service there...

Well, the CS410 does not have a battery-powered realtime clock. If you cant get to the Internet, I see only two solutions. First, use a PC-based PBX host that has all this stuff and you can just set the clock during the installation. Second is to install to a NTP server on a PC in the office. If you are able to run a NTP service on that computer, you can probably as well run the PBX service there...

OK. Lets consider the clock issue resolved.

With the configuration listed below, should I be able to access the Internet?

[internet]------[WAN jack PBXNSIP LAN jack]----[Computer]

The CS410 is not a router, to answer that part of the question. So the computer will not be able to get "online"... However, the CS410 should be able to pull a NTP timestamp and if you are using the build-in NTP server of the CS410, then the phones in the LAN should also get a time. You can also call from the LAN into the internet.