MOH stream with shoutcast

speck

ok i am using PBXnSIP pro or pro-plus software, cant remember at this second, because ive got new job offers, as well as quotes from dell and ibm rattling around, and im at home right now out of the office, and REALLY do not want to log in and check.

anyways. we have an MoH device that we used with our old pbx system, (dont suggest putting sound card in system and plugging that in, both pci slots are used up with fiber optic nics in a fail-over cluster, 1u server) so i was able to get the on-hold company to send me an mp3 file, of the moh. problem is, our moh the way it is setup NEEDS to be looped. was originally going to just run winamp/shoutcast server on the pbx server, and stream to itself on likely the half-life ports

at any rate, ran into a few problems doing that, and didnt want to risk knocking the phone-system off-line, or having issues with it. so i took an OLD 1u box i had laying around that i was about to throw away, and put a sound card in it, winamp, with shoutcast dsp plug-in, and shout cast server.

i can tell that pbxnsip IS pickingup the stream (it has to be) because when i put a call on hold the holding party gets a horrid echo-y screechy like sound.

Ive connected to my "MoH stream server" via winamp on another machine and it works fine

under the software admin panel, i told it the port was "http://<stream-server-ip>:<port>"

Ive read some stuff hinting that it needs to be streamed in mono-16 bit 8khz? could this be my problem? I'm going to try and do this on Monday, as its a down day for our company.

any other suggestions? thoughts? ideas at all?

id like to get this working!

-Matt

ok i am using PBXnSIP pro or pro-plus software, cant remember at this second, because ive got new job offers, as well as quotes from dell and ibm rattling around, and im at home right now out of the office, and REALLY do not want to log in and check.

anyways. we have an MoH device that we used with our old pbx system, (dont suggest putting sound card in system and plugging that in, both pci slots are used up with fiber optic nics in a fail-over cluster, 1u server) so i was able to get the on-hold company to send me an mp3 file, of the moh. problem is, our moh the way it is setup NEEDS to be looped. was originally going to just run winamp/shoutcast server on the pbx server, and stream to itself on likely the half-life ports

at any rate, ran into a few problems doing that, and didnt want to risk knocking the phone-system off-line, or having issues with it. so i took an OLD 1u box i had laying around that i was about to throw away, and put a sound card in it, winamp, with shoutcast dsp plug-in, and shout cast server.

i can tell that pbxnsip IS pickingup the stream (it has to be) because when i put a call on hold the holding party gets a horrid echo-y screechy like sound.

Ive connected to my "MoH stream server" via winamp on another machine and it works fine

under the software admin panel, i told it the port was "http://<stream-server-ip>:<port>"

Ive read some stuff hinting that it needs to be streamed in mono-16 bit 8khz? could this be my problem? I'm going to try and do this on Monday, as its a down day for our company.

any other suggestions? thoughts? ideas at all?

id like to get this working!

-Matt

hey,if you have an mp3 file why torment yourself? just convert it to .wav and put it right on your pbnxsip server.

matt

hey,if you have an mp3 file why torment yourself? just convert it to .wav and put it right on your pbnxsip server.

matt

according to everyone ive talked to, pbxnsip doesnt loop the file and keep it playing constantly, that it starts it everytime you put a call on hold, therefore we'd have to spend a whole bunch of money to have the company that does our on-hold wave, make a new one that would work that way

it has to be played in a loop, and stream'd.

ok, ive tried shoutcast, vlc, ive tried running shoutcast off the soundcard input jack, and hooking the old on hold device up, nothing wants to work streaming in, i just get a crappy echo sound.

ive tried the pagmoh plugin the pbxnsip suggested, and that apears to only work on the box that has pbxnsip on it. this wont work for me, as i do not have a soundcard in the system that pbxnsip is on, and both pci slots are used with my redundant nic's.

does anyone have any suggestions on another server software i can use to stream from another box, into my pbxnsip server...?

my only other option COULD be to try and stream it with the pagmoh on the box, by installing vac on the pbxnsip server, and setting up a virtual audio device. but i cant try this until late tonight, as i cant take the system out of production during bussiness hours to try.

this is one of the whole resons for trying to stream it from a different machine on my network, that way i can do anything i want to with the stream server, and not effect my phone system itself. also i can run more than 1 stream off that machine, and manage a few other things i have going and consolidate down to one machine to handle the clinic music and such aswell..

ive tried the pagmoh plugin the pbxnsip suggested, and that apears to only work on the box that has pbxnsip on it. this wont work for me, as i do not have a soundcard in the system that pbxnsip is on, and both pci slots are used with my redundant nic's.

In Windows XP, you could create an internal loop so that the mic input was the WAV output. That made it possible to use a standard MP3 player to create the music you want and loop it back to the PBX, or the pagmoh. Seems that option was removed in Windows 7 (probably to fight illegal copying of music). The workaround now is to use a physical analog cable to create such a loop.

The pagmoh should work independently from the PBX service. It is just using standard RTP on the network side.

In Windows XP, you could create an internal loop so that the mic input was the WAV output. That made it possible to use a standard MP3 player to create the music you want and loop it back to the PBX, or the pagmoh. Seems that option was removed in Windows 7 (probably to fight illegal copying of music). The workaround now is to use a physical analog cable to create such a loop.

The pagmoh should work independently from the PBX service. It is just using standard RTP on the network side.

ok i got it working

ran the stream off my shoutcast server as an mp3

installed vac 4 on the phone system, connected to the stream with winamp on the phone system then looped it back virtually, and brought the moh into pbxnsip as a wave input..

now i can change my moh on the fly whenever on my shoutcast server, without effecting anything on the phone system. and i dont have to try and put a sound card in my phone server.

works great. actually even sounds great when i call ina nd put my cell on hold, which usually was very static on cell phones.