BLF

Kristan

Hi,

Can anyone explain how the BLF functions work on the 601's? I'm having great difficulty getting these to work reliably. I've only managed to get it to work after resetting device fully. A normal reboot doesn't seem to work. As far as I can see, the config files don't specify the extensions to watch when they're sent to the phone, so I don't understand how the phone gets the list?

Help? :)

No, there is a setting called "List of extensions to watch" (see http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Prepare_..._Plug_and_Play).

I have a 601 with the attendant console. It's running sip version 2.1.2.0078 and I can only add 10 extensions under the "list of extensions to watch". the * doesn't work. I've reset the local settings, formatted the phone, etc. Once I add the 11th extension to watch, none of them appear. It doesn't matter how many Lines I have configured under the registration tab. Any suggestions?

This problem might be related to the transport layer. UDP packets get fragmented when they get too big (around 1500 bytes). I remember switching to TCP or TLS solved the problem.

I don't suppose there's any chance you could elaborate on how to do what you mentioned. I can't seem to find anyplace to tinker with the settings you mentioned.

thanks

Well, UDP packets have a maximum size. In Ethernet networks, thqat is usually 1492 bytes. If the packet gets bigger, the lower networking layers split the packet up into several packets, that is called UDP fragmentation.

Unfortunately, the support from embedded operating systems for this feature is poor. Therefore, if you try to send a message longer than this magic number, you might get only the first fragment of it - and the rest missing.

Maybe you can try to use TCP layer (see http://www.polycom.com/common/documents/su...39;s_guide.pdf). If you are running version 2.1, you can automatically provision TCP transport layer by using the below settings:

polycom_tlayer.gif

I'm assuming the PBX sends NOTIFY's or something to tell the phones what extensions to watch? I ask because suddenly after rebooting the PBX, the BLF on our bigger polycoms have started working again (without them pulling a new config etc. from the server).

Is this correct? In which case, if we see BLF failing at a client, is there a way to push the NOTIFY's back out to the phone, as simply re-registering doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks

I'm assuming the PBX sends NOTIFY's or something to tell the phones what extensions to watch? I ask because suddenly after rebooting the PBX, the BLF on our bigger polycoms have started working again (without them pulling a new config etc. from the server).

Is this correct? In which case, if we see BLF failing at a client, is there a way to push the NOTIFY's back out to the phone, as simply re-registering doesn't seem to do it.

Rebooting the PBX is not an option...

To track this problem down, maybe you can set the log so that the PBX watches the IP address of the phone and writes only those messages into the LOG - then it should be possible to see if hte NOTIFY to the phone still make sense.

What version are you using on the phone?

Rebooting the PBX is not an option...

To track this problem down, maybe you can set the log so that the PBX watches the IP address of the phone and writes only those messages into the LOG - then it should be possible to see if hte NOTIFY to the phone still make sense.

What version are you using on the phone?

Yeah, rebooting the PBX isn't great, but we need to do that occasionally to fix the hold music ;)

I'll put some logging on and see, it's not a huge issue at the moment as the customer who is using the polycom's isn't interested in BLF (thankfully!) but I'm sure there will be some in future.