Voicemail when not registered

UKenGB

I have an extension set to go to voicemail at the default (20s), but what will happen if there's no registration for that extension?

I actually want it to wait for the prescribed time and then answer with the mailbox (unless the call was taken elsewhere and cancelled with the PBX), but I'm concerned that it may go immediately to the mailbox if there's no extension actually registered. Will it go immediately or wait?

I've not tried this yet as there's still so much else to figure out, but if I cannot do it this way, is there any other way to force it to wait before sending to voicemail?

I have an extension set to go to voicemail at the default (20s), but what will happen if there's no registration for that extension?

I actually want it to wait for the prescribed time and then answer with the mailbox (unless the call was taken elsewhere and cancelled with the PBX), but I'm concerned that it may go immediately to the mailbox if there's no extension actually registered. Will it go immediately or wait?

I've not tried this yet as there's still so much else to figure out, but if I cannot do it this way, is there any other way to force it to wait before sending to voicemail?

you can easily test by dialing unregistered account. but I expect ur call flow is more complex.

It will go immediately to voicemail.

If this behavior is not what you want, you can put something on top of the "redirect on not registered" feature for the extension. For example, redirect it to an IVR node that plays back a ringback tone for 20 seconds before it redirects into the mailbox.

Ah but the thing is, I don't want it to answer the call so that while 'waiting' it is possible for the call to be answered by another client registered to the VOIP provider in parallel to the PBX's trunk, IOW, I want it to just be an answer phone for that account at the VOIP provider so I can use the line when I'm away (and not able to access the PBX) but if I don't answer it, then the PBX picks it up.

Is it possible to have it NOT answer the call until the voicemail timeout expires and then pick it up and go straight to the mailbox?

Ah but the thing is, I don't want it to answer the call so that while 'waiting' it is possible for the call to be answered by another client registered to the VOIP provider in parallel to the PBX's trunk, IOW, I want it to just be an answer phone for that account at the VOIP provider so I can use the line when I'm away (and not able to access the PBX) but if I don't answer it, then the PBX picks it up.

Is it possible to have it NOT answer the call until the voicemail timeout expires and then pick it up and go straight to the mailbox?

you have 1 sip trunk ringing 2 pbxs? if so that is not something I normally see. how about the 2 sip clients to the same pbx? (one would be registered to 2 pbxs) would that work?

you have 1 sip trunk ringing 2 pbxs? if so that is not something I normally see. how about the 2 sip clients to the same pbx? (one would be registered to 2 pbxs) would that work?

No, I obviously wasn't clear. Sorry.

The situation I am working with is snomONE on the local LAN behind a NAT router and hence not accessible from the Net. The PBX uses SIP Registration trunks to the accounts at my VOIP provider. One of the SIP clients is an iPhone running Bria and if this is away from the LAN it would not be able to connect to the PBX, so instead it registers to the appropriate account at the VOIP provider - in parallel to the PBX. This is the only way to let it receive calls whether on the LAN or half way around the world, without exposing the PBX to the 'Net which I am not about to do.

So if the iPhone answers the call, it gets cancelled to the PBX. But if it does not, I want the PBX to pick it up and send to the mailbox. Obviously if the PBX immediately picks it up and sends to voicemail, my whole plan fails:-)

So I just need to introduce a delay before the PBX Picks up the call. Is it possible?

Here's another thought. When the PBX receives an INVITE, does it accept the call and then try to find an extension, or does it NOT accept the call until it has a destination, whether that is an extension or a mailbox? I guess this is fundament to what I'm trying to do.

Two things come to my mind. First, just don't use a mailbox! If you have a second mailbox anyway, then it is probably better to stick to this one all the time.

The other thing could be to use a static registration, even if it is pointing into the nirvana. This will keep the PBX busy for some time until the request-timeout will kick in, which should be around 32 seconds. This is a little bit dirty solution, but could solve your problem.

Two things come to my mind. First, just don't use a mailbox! If you have a second mailbox anyway, then it is probably better to stick to this one all the time.

Ah, but there is no other mailbox, that's what I want the PBX for in this case.

The other thing could be to use a static registration, even if it is pointing into the nirvana. This will keep the PBX busy for some time until the request-timeout will kick in, which should be around 32 seconds. This is a little bit dirty solution, but could solve your problem.

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure what you mean by "static registration"? Could you please elaborate on what you mean by this setup.

http://kiwi.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Extension#Registrations explains it, seens the new Wiki does not have this yet...

So basically manually add a dummy registration. Brilliant. The iPhone rings while the PBX is thinking about it and if not answered it eventually goes to the mailbox. Seems to work perfectly:-)

Thanks for that, a wonderfully sneaky solution.