Random restart of PBX service

Tom Waterman

Hello all, has anyone ever had the PBX service restart on its own? Mine just did it this morning at 11:30. How can I tell who requested the restart? Thank you.

In Linux, you can check the syslog for admin login and other important events from the PBX. Also, if you ahve email notifications turned on you should get an email if someone requests a restart.

In Linux, you can check the syslog for admin login and other important events from the PBX. Also, if you ahve email notifications turned on you should get an email if someone requests a restart.

This is on a Windows box so there is no syslog server. I do have email notification on but it just told me the service was restrarted but not who issued the request. Maybe in a future version?

Tom

This is on a Windows box so there is no syslog server. I do have email notification on but it just told me the service was restrarted but not who issued the request. Maybe in a future version?

Anything from the service manager? If the PBX initiates the restart, it does restart the whole system...

Anything from the service manager? If the PBX initiates the restart, it does restart the whole system...

I found in the Event viewer under the application section the following stop error:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 11/8/2010 11:24:09 AM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: SRPBX01.mdgn.microdatagis.com

Description:

Faulting application pbxctrl.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4c992b3b, faulting module pbxctrl.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4c992b3b, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00179ef2, process id 0x204, application start time 0x01cb6b94d88facdc.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-11-08T16:24:09.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>3502</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SRPBX01.mdgn.microdatagis.com</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>pbxctrl.exe</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>4c992b3b</Data>

<Data>pbxctrl.exe</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>4c992b3b</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>00179ef2</Data>

<Data>204</Data>

<Data>01cb6b94d88facdc</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Luckily this has only happened once. :-)Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Tom,

Long ago we created a post on optimizing a windows installation, We've used various tools like TWEAKXP to create a stripped down XP installation with minimal add-ons, then set every service to manual and a reboot of windows it will start the minimal services. Of course remove file/print and all IP services, if the NIC supports UDP/TCP checksum offloading enable that too.. You'll need to enable the install services to install PBX, or do the services changes after the installation.

Being of Old School decent, PBX's are important enough to run on suitable hardware, especially one that support ECC RAM. You can read all about single bit error statistics, but the reality is most PBX's are installed in non-perfect environments and are subject to many factors that can cause single bit errors. Temp, ESD, Humidity, Shock. The better hardware platforms track and register single bit corrections it's not uncommon to see these in server hardware BIOS reports.