Firmware update for phones with no INTERNET

Tom Waterman

Hello all. As you can guess I have a network with no INTERNET access. So I have the new firmware for the snom phone on my PBX. I know I could start IIS on this windows box and point the pbx to that to get the updates. But I was hoping that I could just put it in the HTML or tftp directory. Has anyone done this and what would the firmware path look like in the PnP settings. Thanks for the help!

Tom

You can put those firmware files on the tftp folder and then put just the file name on the PnP page (no path required). After saving this page, just reboot the phone.

In the tftp folder I put a file called snom370.bin In the PNP settings under the firmare settings for this phone i put the same file name of snom370.bin However the phone fail to pick it up. I have no other tftp service running on this machine and the phone do pull down thier configs properly. Any ideas?

Tom

In the tftp folder I put a file called snom370.bin In the PNP settings under the firmare settings for this phone i put the same file name of snom370.bin However the phone fail to pick it up. I have no other tftp service running on this machine and the phone do pull down thier configs properly. Any ideas?

Tom

We have tried with the full file name. Ex: snom370-8.4.18-SIP-f.bin. I am not sure if the phone did not like the file name (they might have restriction for some reason). If you either wireshark the message between the phone and the PBX or check the phone log we should be able to see what happened.

OK I have attached the pcap of the communication between the phone and the server during the phone boot. I have in the PnP firware settings only snom370.bin and it is placed in the html directory in the pbx folder. I have even deleted the generated file for this extention in hopes it would rebuild it, and it does but the firmware is still not updated. Thank you for the help.

Tom

Firmware_update.zip

Possible reasons are: The phone got blacklisted during the provisioning process, you would see this in the access list. Or the number of allowed HTTP threads is exhaused (increase it).

You can see in the PBX that the phone does to connect to port 80 and request the firmware location file (repetition in packet #220), but there is nothing coming back.

The better option here is to create a 'tftp' folder (at the same level as 'html') and put the .bin file.

That was the first spot I put it and it is still there. So how does the phone know to get there?

Even if I could put it there and go to the phone and manually place the link to the upgrade in there and press load would be ok, until I can get them upgraded from version 7x.

Possible reasons are: The phone got blacklisted during the provisioning process, you would see this in the access list. Or the number of allowed HTTP threads is exhaused (increase it).

You can see in the PBX that the phone does to connect to port 80 and request the firmware location file (repetition in packet #220), but there is nothing coming back.

The pbx is version 4.3.0.3198. No access-list feature in this version. :-)