Remote 870 using SRTP

Patrick

I want to create an 870 for a remote user and was told that VPN is overkill.

Is there an idiot's guide to remote srtp?

Will Snom One provision remotely or will it even provision for this use?

Basically, treat me like an idiot. It would seem to be an accurate description at the moment.

I want to create an 870 for a remote user and was told that VPN is overkill.

Is there an idiot's guide to remote srtp?

Will Snom One provision remotely or will it even provision for this use?

Basically, treat me like an idiot. It would seem to be an accurate description at the moment.

I can only tell what I'm using. I'm creating an openvpn connection with 2 linksys wrt54G modems, flashed with Keith Moyer's TomatoVpn firmware. My snom 320 connects through the openvpn just like it's connected to a 'normal' internal network. It is simple, cost-effective and above all, works like a charm.

Best Regards,

Marc.

Happy, all things considered, that's a great answer for my current customer.

What I was trying to do was use the public IP to provision a set remotely. Probably would work better if the pbx had been working and I had been using the right IP address... Why is it that every time you try something new, something stupid happens and you end up wasting so much time?

One of the common problems that we see is that the operating system prefers the private IP address for routing traffic to the public internet. This is typically because it has the higher bandwidth and the OS thinks this is the faster route. You might have experienced the same problem, and the way to fix it is to mingle with the route command. The problem is so bad because incoming TCP connections (HTTP) work beautiful, but UDP (RTP) does not--because it is not connection oriented.