Paging...multicast

Steve B

I have a couple questions on Multicast and paging:

I am using snomONE 2011-4.2.0.3981 and a snom 320 with 8.4.31 firmware

1. I have set the multicast IPand port under the ports tab but the phones don't receive it. Do I need to manually change the config file for this?

2. Is multicast paging supported under TLS, I can't seem to get it to work unless it is under TCP.

3. If I use unicast, the paging extension calls my extension also. After I am done paging the phone still rings (from the paging extension) until I pick up the extension. Is there a setting I can change to remedy this problem if I use unicast?

Thanks guys!

1. I have set the multicast IPand port under the ports tab but the phones don't receive it. Do I need to manually change the config file for this?

You need to create a multicast paging group and put the necessary extensions on "Destination" field and multicast address on the "Multicast-Address" field. If you reboot the phone after the account is created, the phone will receive this.

2. Is multicast paging supported under TLS, I can't seem to get it to work unless it is under TCP.

It is supported. But we have seen cases where some SRTP auth error on the phones cause no audio. There is a ticket opened already.

3. If I use unicast, the paging extension calls my extension also. After I am done paging the phone still rings (from the paging extension) until I pick up the extension. Is there a setting I can change to remedy this problem if I use unicast?

If there are more than 1 registrations on the extensions, unicast paging will just ring the phone. If there is only 1 registration on the extension then it should work as long as the 'ringtones.xml' is not changed.

1.-are you letting snom ONE provision the snom phone? it should do all the majic. Another issue with multicast can be the firewall in the network--it CAN block multicast.

3. phone should not keep ringing if using unicast and you hang up the originiating phone. something is wrong there. is this JUST with 320? (we dont use a lot of them: 300, 360, 370 we use more)

ICMP snooping on many managed switches will Kill M/C, PNP GATEWAY services on residential routers will kill PNP...

There are many tools available to test M/C and U/C PNP on snom must use port 80 and MC uses 224.0.1.75

If you are in the cisco world, this will get you started

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f21.shtml

ICMP snooping on many managed switches will Kill M/C, PNP GATEWAY services on residential routers will kill PNP...

There are many tools available to test M/C and U/C PNP on snom must use port 80 and MC uses 224.0.1.75

If you are in the cisco world, this will get you started

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f21.shtml

Thank you everyone for the replys, I disabled TLS on this system for now and will play with it on my own system.