VERY BASIC FEATURE REQUEST

andrewgroup

With two Clients using V2.xx using SNOM 360/320 phones, the receptionist needs a basic feature to duplicate the functionality of 20 years worth of user training with almost every TDM phone system before the SIP/VOiP Era..

The Receptionist has a programmed button / light for the BOSS....

The Boss pressed DND or the * CODE DND

But the receptionist has no way to know not to send a CALL to the BOSS...

the RECEPTIONIST has no computer,

Why CAN'T PBXnSIP blink a like on monitored stations with they are put in DND via the button or the STAR Code.....

For all the great features, not being able to provide the receptionist DND status for the BOSS and others is a glaring hole and we get bugged for this weekly..

Did I miss something or is this possible?

With two Clients using V2.xx using SNOM 360/320 phones, the receptionist needs a basic feature to duplicate the functionality of 20 years worth of user training with almost every TDM phone system before the SIP/VOiP Era..

The Receptionist has a programmed button / light for the BOSS....

The Boss pressed DND or the * CODE DND

But the receptionist has no way to know not to send a CALL to the BOSS...

the RECEPTIONIST has no computer,

Why CAN'T PBXnSIP blink a like on monitored stations with they are put in DND via the button or the STAR Code.....

For all the great features, not being able to provide the receptionist DND status for the BOSS and others is a glaring hole and we get bugged for this weekly..

Did I miss something or is this possible?

Andrew, a few key points,

This is PBX system not a TDM system.

Many of its functions are dictated by SIP Messages that were created by the IETF (computer people) not TDM system manufacturers (telephone people).

Thats why "Shared Line Appearance" isn't common.

It takes over 460 characters in a SIP Message just to tell the phone to make the BLF light come on.

Thats because it wasn't intended just to make a light come on, but actually to do a lot more than that.

What you want to accomplish is not a shortfall of PBXNSIP, but rather due to SIP Messages, and they are evolving every day.

There is no message that says "Turn the light on (or blink) when an extension activates DND (or any other feature)"

To do this a phone would need to extract the Feature Code from the SIP Notify Message and make a light come on.

Sounds easy until you realize that phone manufactures would have to have all the feature codes for all the systems out there.

Not to mention Flexible Feature Codes that can be changed or conflicting codes.

TDM manufactures build a Proprietary system from the gound up to work a certain way with their phones and control box.

SIP on the other hand is a mixed effort. Different phone manufacturers, different software/appliance manufacturers, different gateway manufacturers and so on.

Not everyone is on the same track at the same time. Thats why Firmware Updates are out there.

It seems to me that what you should use is "Presence". Its the closest thing to "Status Lights"

To do this you need phones that support the "Presence" feature and I'm not sure if it works with PBXNSIP.

Busy Lamp Fields (BLF) and Do Not Disturb have been around since President Eisenhower.

But sometimes, from the old ways, you just need something simple.

SIP/VOIP is a bold step towards the future in telecommunications. People in the 21st century expect more than just a light on the phone.

Thats why SIP/VOIP will give them something different, like station status from 4000 miles away.

Hope this helps.

Bill H

If the correct answer was "It can't be done" that would be sufficient, however, I was hoping that I might spark a creative use of the SNOM advanced action keys for PRESS DND, I'm not capable of creating the solution, but until the idea of having a second status on extension monitor key like blink for DND is considered, maybe when pressing DND triggers an action that triggers some sort of alert to other SNOM phones. Perhaps a scrolling message on the SNOM phones

Since I have an existing 50 station PBXnSIP spread in two floors of 12,000 sq. ft. and the front receptionist not knowing if the Boss has his DND button is causing us some embarrassment, we got it covered, but If I were selling a PBXnSIP competitor, I'd be reading these forums and discovering these little jewels for my competitive analysis. I'm sure purchasing decisions have been made on less.

Cheers,

Well, it can be done. See http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Snom. Just make sure that you are using version 7.1.28 or higher. There are images available at http://www.pbxnsip.com/protect/snom3[0267]0-7.1.28-SIP-f.bin, just in case that you don't find them on the Internet.

The monitoring of the DND button for other extensions might be a little challenge, though. Maybe this is something that we need to add...

Well, it can be done. See http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Snom. Just make sure that you are using version 7.1.28 or higher. There are images available at http://www.pbxnsip.com/protect/snom3[0267]0-7.1.28-SIP-f.bin, just in case that you don't find them on the Internet.

The monitoring of the DND button for other extensions might be a little challenge, though. Maybe this is something that we need to add...

The last sentence is the crux of the issue, Monitoring the status of another extension (The Boss) for the receptionist was the original post. We are also trying to avoid too many client exposures to upgrade firmware on 50 phones. We are waiting until SNOM addresses a linger problem of connecting to inbound callers together. This has been an issue for the last 12 months on all firmwares.

Try this on PBXnSIP with SNOM 320 or 360 phones, accept an inbound call. place that caller on hold. Answer another inbound caller - simply hang up on the second caller and see what you get. My guess is the two callers are now talking to one another. (Two upset clients can have a real hay day talking about your phone system. So until we can deliver that fix to several clients we are strategically avoiding making any promises and wasting ours and their times when we aren't resolving any of the bigger problems. Oh, and you can turn the advanced snom setting Call join on Xfer (2 calls): on or off, it really doesn't matter.

If I were technically capable, I think adding some SNOM action URL's to the PBXnSIP web server to do some cool stuff like this would be a real plus. The SNOM web - wiki speaks of this exact example, but we simply don't want to go about creating 1-off solutions.

Cheers.

If I were technically capable, I think adding some SNOM action URL's to the PBXnSIP web server to do some cool stuff like this would be a real plus. The SNOM web - wiki speaks of this exact example, but we simply don't want to go about creating 1-off solutions.

The address book button goes to the PBX address book. At least something!

Try this on PBXnSIP with SNOM 320 or 360 phones, accept an inbound call. place that caller on hold. Answer another inbound caller - simply hang up on the second caller and see what you get. My guess is the two callers are now talking to one another. (Two upset clients can have a real hay day talking about your phone system. So until we can deliver that fix to several clients we are strategically avoiding making any promises and wasting ours and their times when we aren't resolving any of the bigger problems. Oh, and you can turn the advanced snom setting Call join on Xfer (2 calls): on or off, it really doesn't matter.

Cheers.

Just to comment on the above mentioned scenario, this behavior I think is configurable. Turn off the setting 'Transfer on Onhook' (yeah, yeah, I know: another one of those advanced snom settings).

http://wiki.snom.com/Settings/transfer_on_hangup

Regards,

Adam Smith