Mailbox Direct Dial Prefix problem

Doug

I tried adding 8 to the Mailbox Direct Dial Prefix: setting.

I then called into an AA and entered 8111 and I got a message indicating an invalid extension. 111 works.

I also tried putting an 8 in front of an extension in the Final setting of a hunt group and the PBX also didn't like the extension.

Is there some else I need to do?

I am using the External Voice Mail system settings for Exchange. Does this defeat the Mailbox direct Dial Prefix?

It would be nice to still have this feature if that is the issue.

Doug

I am using the External Voice Mail system settings for Exchange. Does this defeat the Mailbox direct Dial Prefix?

Yes. In this case you should directly call the Exchange with a different prefix that you are using in the dial plan to call Exchange. For example, if you are using 999* in the dial plan to send calls to the Exchange trunk, then dial 999123 if 123 is your account.

Another "possible" method for getting around this is to setup a speed dial number in your domain address book. We do something similar and having the AA hit a speed dial works for us. We still have the dial plan handle the number in a special manor, but we us 9+extension to route to external e-mail box. It works for us so I thought I would add the input.

I guess I am missing something. Sorry.

7 is the prefix for Exchange.

When I put in the Final Stage field of the Hunt Group, 7111 (111 is the extension), I hear the Exchange prompt for accessing the MB to get messages, not the "Leave a message for Doug" prompt. If I call 111 directly and there is no answer the call goes to Exchange and I get the "Leave a message for Doug prompt".

I also tried to set up a speed dial. I created a speed dial of *12 which calls 7111. I put *12 in the Final Stage fiekd and call the Hunt group and get a message saying "the person I tried to call is unavailable". I tried to put any speed dial in the Final Stage and I get that message.

So I don't either understand the use of Hunt Groups, or some functions do not work the same in a Hunt Group that work in other areas.

Thanks,

Doug

• 5 weeks later...