BLF How to make it work???

clarity

Busy Lamp and online status with Polycom Phones...

I'm pretty used to doing this with asterisk.

---

However I've been unable to get it to work on PBXnSIP.

I have the polycom phones (650s and 550s) configured with presence enabled and buddy watch turned on for a couple of extensions.

But they always show up as offline even though they are registered and/active in a call when testing.

I've found very little documentation or setup instructions on this and am looking for help or pointers.

Phones are all firmware 2.2.0.0047 (latest release ware)

and PBXnSIP is Debian Linux/ 2.1.1.2211 (Linux)

I've tried messing with these:

Watch the calls of the following extensions (* for all):

Watch the presence of the following extensions (* for all):

setting things like "*" and entering single extension numbers etc.

Also have not found any docs on this or examples.... please help!

-Steve

I would start monitoring one or two extensions first, this avoids problems with too long messages. XML tends to become very long

So far I have seen only on/off states in the leds. The dialog-state based BLF is IMHO not able to provide features like pickup. If you have a packet trace that shows how to make the Polycom start blinking that would be very interesting.

I would start monitoring one or two extensions first, this avoids problems with too long messages. XML tends to become very long

So far I have seen only on/off states in the leds. The dialog-state based BLF is IMHO not able to provide features like pickup. If you have a packet trace that shows how to make the Polycom start blinking that would be very interesting.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have it setup about as simple as it can get...

Two extensions that monitor each other with a single buddy watch.

Are you asking to see a packet capture of it working with asterisk?

and then another of it *not* working with PBXnsip?

Is this a known working feature?

All I'm really looking for is the basic LED on/OFF you describe... I do not expect more.

Should we take a look at my configuration/setup before getting into packet captures on this?

Thanks!

Steve

We get the basic on/off stuff working. However, there is a problem when the packets get too big (more than 1492) if the transport layer is UDP. This happens when the initial NOTIFY lists all buddies - then the UDP packet gets fragmented and the phone cannot use it. Switching to TCP transport layer seems to solve that problem.

Our problem is that in the beginning things look fine, then after some time the display gets kind of garbeled. That might relate to the firmware version that we are using. It seems to happen after the first few calls, but I think that was fixed in on of the latest firmware releases. Did not have the time to upgrade to one of these releases yet.

We get the basic on/off stuff working. However, there is a problem when the packets get too big (more than 1492) if the transport layer is UDP. This happens when the initial NOTIFY lists all buddies - then the UDP packet gets fragmented and the phone cannot use it. Switching to TCP transport layer seems to solve that problem.

Our problem is that in the beginning things look fine, then after some time the display gets kind of garbeled. That might relate to the firmware version that we are using. It seems to happen after the first few calls, but I think that was fixed in on of the latest firmware releases. Did not have the time to upgrade to one of these releases yet.

I am first trying to get this very basic busy lamp function to work. (nothing else at the moment)

I do not have a long list but simply TWO extensions monitoring each other to start so I am hoping we can move forward

with the assumption that we are not running into other problems with long extensions lists or UDP packet size bottle necks.

You say it works at first....

I am trying to get this initial functionality to work.

with just two phones and busy lamp indicate only right now.

Can tell me if this basic functinality works and is supported?

Also can you help me go over my configuration andtell me if I have setup my system properly for this to work?

Please tell me what you need to look at and I will provide it.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Ehh. I tried here as well, and using the head version seems like "we have a problem." We'll look into it.

As you know we are still battling with this!

Looks like you almost have it figured out in software there...

Unfortunately that latest fix didn't do anything at all...

Maybe somehow check and see if I have the right build?

Steve

So far we can say: With the 2.1.5 release, the problem begins when one of the BLF extensions is active, on DND or has any other reasons to be "on". Then the initial packet contains a dialog state list that cannot be parsed correctly by the phone and then the BLF state display goes south.

For us, it was neccessary to use the version 2.2.2 of the Polycom phone. 2.2.0 had the strange problem that after the first call or the first address book usage, the list was getting crazy.

The workaround we did was to ignore the state of the account (in a 2.1.6 build). That has the disadvantage that when the device starst up and there is a call active on the extension, the phone will not show that. When the call stops and the extension has a new call, then everything will be okay again.

• 1 month later...
The workaround we did was to ignore the state of the account (in a 2.1.6 build). That has the disadvantage that when the device starst up and there is a call active on the extension, the phone will not show that. When the call stops and the extension has a new call, then everything will be okay again.

Is this in 2.1.6.2448? I upgraded our PBX and still had this issue. I had to roll back due to snom problems, though that's a different story.

Do you mean buddy lists in the polycom sense or watched extensions?

I've disabled the buddy stuff on our installs (mainly though ignorance - I don't know what it does or how it works :unsure: ) and the watched extensions works fine (on polycom SIP 2.2.2 and 3.0)