Snom One Soho

PaulP

Hello,

at this moment I use Snom One Free on a Windows machine together with four Snom M9s.

I like a dedicated device for the Snom One software so am thinking about buying the Snom One Soho.

Questions:

- Is the functionality exactly the same as the separate Snom ONE software?

- I use the recording functionality a lot to record conversation.

- Does this also work on the Soho?

- How much space is available in the system (memory etc)?

- How do I access the recordings (in windows I access it on file level with a browser not via the GUI)?

- Are there any specific advantages for using the SOHO that you can mention?

Thanks for the help,

Regards,

Paul

- Is the functionality exactly the same as the separate Snom ONE software?

Yes.

- I use the recording functionality a lot to record conversation.

- Does this also work on the Soho?

Yes.

- How much space is available in the system (memory etc)?

The system has totally 512 MB; I would say 200 MB are still available for the PBX data. So if you start recording, you can record a few hours then the file system will be full and the box gets into trouble.

- How do I access the recordings (in windows I access it on file level with a browser not via the GUI)?

The box has SSH access, you can read the file system trough that.

- Are there any specific advantages for using the SOHO that you can mention?

The price and the operating cost. It has no moving parts and low power consumption. Compared to a PC server, you'll save a lot of money for power and you don't have to be afraid that the CPU fan dies over time, especially in enviroments where there is a lot of dust in the air. The device is running Debian on ARM, and you are free to install things that you like or need. For example, you could think about NFS or mounting external USB memory devices. But this is something that we will definitevely not support, if you do that you are on your own risk and support.

I would not advertize this as a recording solution. If you want to have a recording solution, I would stick to standard PC with a lot more drive capacity.

thanks for your answer.

I like the dedicated device so a couple more questions.

- Is it possible to, once a day, automatically move the audio recordings to a NAS on the same network (using a script or so). If Yes can you supply me the script?. Maybe it is nice idea for standard functionality that can be managed via the GUI. Also an alternative could be to have the NAS move the files from the Snom SOHO. But it should not become too complicated....What would be you advise to daily offload the voice files?

- At his moment use a non-dedicated PC and sometimes run into problems with availability. Once in a while I have to restart the PC to keep Snom One working properly. I tried Windows and OSX. In case I have to stick to a PC, what is the preferred platform looking at reliability. OSX, Linux or Windows.

Thanks again,

Paul

- Is it possible to, once a day, automatically move the audio recordings to a NAS on the same network (using a script or so). If Yes can you supply me the script?. Maybe it is nice idea for standard functionality that can be managed via the GUI. Also an alternative could be to have the NAS move the files from the Snom SOHO. But it should not become too complicated....What would be you advise to daily offload the voice files?

It is Linux and I believe a cron service is running, so it is up to you to add a script that does the magic.

- At his moment use a non-dedicated PC and sometimes run into problems with availability. Once in a while I have to restart the PC to keep Snom One working properly. I tried Windows and OSX. In case I have to stick to a PC, what is the preferred platform looking at reliability. OSX, Linux or Windows.

That is almost a religious discussion. IMHO OSX is not so much mainstream in the server world, but Linux and Windows are pretty mainstream these days and depending on your skills, you will prefer either one.