No sound for external users

SOSAGES

Good day all.

I hope someone can help with a small issue im having with my pbxnsip setup.

I will detail my setup and then the problem.

I have 1 PBX setup with 3 accounts on it (101 / 102 / 103)

This sits on a computer with a static IP and is connected to a router that joins it to the internet.

I have 3 voip phone users. 1 internal connected to the same router the PBX is (101)

and 2 external (102 / 103) extensions used by home users.

I also have (and this shouldnt confuse anything) a MS speech server setup.

All 3 can register on my PBX.

i can dial all entensions for any phone but i have audio issues.

From 101 (my internal phone) i can dial my speech server and talk to it so i know that works. But when 102 and 103 try and dial my speech server they dont get anything at all (it rings and answers but thats it)

From 101 i can dial 102 or 103 and it will ring and they will answer but i can not hear them and they can not hear me.

from 102 and 103 they can dial 101 and each other and both will ring but once again they wont hear anything so thats external to internal phone no audio and external to external phone no audio.

every phone tested is also setup under another extenion to another pbx hosted by our ISP and that works fine so im happy the phones work.

I have the PBX computer setup to be in my DMZ and any software firewalls disabled.

Am i missing anything?

Thanks in advance

regards

ross

I have the PBX computer setup to be in my DMZ and any software firewalls disabled.

Most probably you have a routing problem with the RTP (SIP seems to be okay, maybe because you forwarded the RTP traffic). Check out http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Office_w...ic_IP_addresses, there you can see how you can use DMZ to get the setup you want.

If you have Wireshark on the PBX host, you will be able to see what is going wrong.

Does that page mean i need to use 2 network cards and give 1 the external ip and 1 the internal ip?

No, you can also do that with one NIC - but then things get more complicated. You need to use the settings "IP Routing List" and put something like "192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0/192.168.1.2 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0/123.124.125.126" there. This means "if you are sending to the 192.168.x.x, use the 192.168.1.2 IP address, otherwise if you send it to anywhere else, use 123.124.125.126". And you need to program your firewall so that it forwards SIP and RTP to the private IP address (192.168.1.2 in this example). Not very user friendly, but in that environment user friendlyness is difficult.

No, you can also do that with one NIC - but then things get more complicated. You need to use the settings "IP Routing List" and put something like "192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0/192.168.1.2 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0/123.124.125.126" there. This means "if you are sending to the 192.168.x.x, use the 192.168.1.2 IP address, otherwise if you send it to anywhere else, use 123.124.125.126". And you need to program your firewall so that it forwards SIP and RTP to the private IP address (192.168.1.2 in this example). Not very user friendly, but in that environment user friendlyness is difficult.

ok i will give it a whirl,

just out of interest what environment would be best the easiest/friendliest i have a pbx and wish people to connect to it and then call each other using the extention number the equipment involved is 1 xp box with pbxnsip and 1 router to connect to the web. I thought i was making it simple for my self :)

Thanks again

just out of interest what environment would be best the easiest/friendliest i have a pbx and wish people to connect to it and then call each other using the extention number the equipment involved is 1 xp box with pbxnsip and 1 router to connect to the web. I thought i was making it simple for my self :)

If you are have external users it does pay back to have a static public IP address. I would run one NIC on that public IP address and just to transparent routing (no NAT), that makes the setup pretty easy and your life much more comfortable.

If you have private users spending another private IP address does not cost you anything and also makes your life much easier (no need to run calls from the private IP through a firewall).