Strange Scrambling Sound

Sara_Donald

Hi, I have this problem where when I dial out the pbx gives me this extremely loud scrambling noise until the call is connected. I use a VPN to route VoIP. I have allowed the RTP ports outbound and all other associated L2TP VPN ports outbound to the server. The sound is almost like a fax sound and underneath you can hear the dialing taking place but it doesnt shut up until someone answers the call then everything is crystal clear. Im using the latest Windows version on Vista. Can someone please help me as I never used to get this problem in the earliest version 2.

Regards,

Sara.

Hi, I have this problem where when I dial out the pbx gives me this extremely loud scrambling noise until the call is connected. I use a VPN to route VoIP. I have allowed the RTP ports outbound and all other associated L2TP VPN ports outbound to the server. The sound is almost like a fax sound and underneath you can hear the dialing taking place but it doesnt shut up until someone answers the call then everything is crystal clear. Im using the latest Windows version on Vista. Can someone please help me as I never used to get this problem in the earliest version 2.

Regards,

Sara.

Thank you for the reply, so do I have this right, I rename the noise.wav file to something like nonoise.wav and create another file called noise.Ok or do I create a blank file called noise.wav using notepad?

Regards,

Sara.

... gives me this extremely loud scrambling noise until the call is connected.

I don't think that would be noise.wav ("comfort noise").

Extreme loud scrambling sounds like SRTP trouble to me. Maybe there is old SRTP equipment somwhere in the voice path that does not check the MAC of the SRTP before accepting it.

I don't think that would be noise.wav ("comfort noise").

Extreme loud scrambling sounds like SRTP trouble to me. Maybe there is old SRTP equipment somwhere in the voice path that does not check the MAC of the SRTP before accepting it.

Thats what I thought except I did try the noise.wav thing and I got silence at the beginning of my call so much that I couldnt even hear the ringing of the phone. I am not using srtp and dont know how to turn it off in the latest version. I just use the old 5060 port which then goes over VPN. I dont know if this could be the problem but am I supposed to allow the client to have incoming outgoing use of port 5060 or just outbound the PBX is on a client that connects to the VPN?

Regards,

Sara.