What happens if Provisioning server if offline

Wouter Keizer

Will all operational phones keep working if the provisioningserver is unavailable.

We need to move our PBXnSIP server causing the External IP adres of the server to change.

All phones connect to the reg server with a domain name but the provisioning server is reached by IP.

If i move the server to the new location and correct the DNS recors for the reg server, will all phones keep working , knowing that they cant reach the provisioning server anymore until i change the phone settings.

In principle, if the provisioning server is not available, the phones will take a little longer to boot up... no problem here.

If you have set the phones up to use the provisioning DNS name of the server, they will go to the new address after the address was updated and the server is available on that address. No problem here either...

If you have set the address to an IP address for the provisioning address, then you have to update that address on all phones. That would be a problem.

In principle, if the provisioning server is not available, the phones will take a little longer to boot up... no problem here.

If you have set the phones up to use the provisioning DNS name of the server, they will go to the new address after the address was updated and the server is available on that address. No problem here either...

If you have set the address to an IP address for the provisioning address, then you have to update that address on all phones. That would be a problem.

What happens if the phone boot up and the provisioning server is offline, Will the keep working with the last know config or will they fail to work at all ?

Other question is: can i change the provisioningserver setting from IP adres to FQDN adres through the provisioning server before i take it offline? and will all phones use FQDN/DNS then?

If the server is offline, the config will not be changed. It will just take a long time to boot up.

Generally the PBX does not provision the address of itself. But you can change that in the template. Then you have to reboot the phone and it will fetch it.

Is there any documentation about the parameters and in wich file to put them so i can auto provision the provisioning setting..;)

Ps. i did a field test with the "missing provisioning server" scene, ant the phone keeps working but an anoying "provisioning Failes" keeps poping up in the display. So i realy hope i can get the setting pushed.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the "setting URL" (advanced, then update on the phone). The name of the setting is "setting_server", so in XML you need to add a line like this <setting_server>http://dns.name</setting_server> and then it should take it. I did not test this, though.

I have tried this today but i think im doing sometingwrong.

There are about 20 voip domains active on this server.

I found that all domains have seperate XLM files for their domain and for the extenstion.

All phones use http://IP/provisioning/snom300.htm or snom320.htm or snom360.htm

The files snom3xx.htm can not be found on that server ??

the xml files can be found but i cant get them to work with the ew setting.

any ideas?

I want all phones to change the provisioning url in the phone to an DNS adres instead of ip bij using that same provisioning server.

Do i realy need to edit all XLM files from every phone on all domains ?

Hmm. Do you know the MAC addresses of the devices? Then you could just use the XML-RPC mechanism to point the phones to the PBX. Or you write a script that put the configuration files for each phone into the tftp folder. In 5.0.8 we have added those snom300.htm files, because some snom firmware versions give up if they cannot download that file.

Hmm. Do you know the MAC addresses of the devices? Then you could just use the XML-RPC mechanism to point the phones to the PBX. Or you write a script that put the configuration files for each phone into the tftp folder. In 5.0.8 we have added those snom300.htm files, because some snom firmware versions give up if they cannot download that file.

We use 2 old PBXnSIP version 3.4.0.3201 servers (because they are to migrated later this year to another system we wont upgrade them.

Is there any documentation this version regarding my issue?

Not sure if a forum discussion will lead to a solution. We probably have to write some scripts that generate the right provisioning data. Support tickets are credited against future sales wink.gif.

Thnx for hearing my story.

I used snom.zendesk forum to post a ticked with server details and wishes, hope they can help me out.