Sound issue

dyntech

I am running version 2.0.1.1624 on Windows SBS 2003 SP1. When a call comes in no auto attendant prompts are heard. If I type the extension I want the call is connected and it is possible to have a conversation.

I can also call the auto attendant from the phone and hear audio prompts fine.

I am using a Sonicwall router with the most current firmware, I am aware of the issues with Sonicwall and have tried three versions of their firmware, the most recent (SonicOS Enhanced 3.2.3.0-6e) which is newer than the "problem" firmware in the Wiki seems to be the best. Even using the one sugested on the Wiki gave the same results, but the most current seems to give better call quality.

I must not have the proper ports opened although I hae opened 506-5062 for SIP as well as the defualt Sonicwall "VOIP" port group.

Are there any other ports that need to be opened?

Are there any other ports that need to be opened?

You might also have to open the ports for RTP. See the Ports web page in the admin mode for the ports that the PBX uses.

When a call comes in no auto attendant prompts are heard. If I type the extension I want the call is connected and it is possible to have a conversation. I can also call the auto attendant from the phone and hear audio prompts fine.

This is really weired. When you enter the extension through the firewall, do you have a two-way audio conversation later?

You might also have to open the ports for RTP. See the Ports web page in the admin mode for the ports that the PBX uses.

This is really weired. When you enter the extension through the firewall, do you have a two-way audio conversation later?

Yes, there is two-way audio but it is choppy.

Yes, there is two-way audio but it is choppy.

Choppy audio is a sign that RTP does not take the direct path. Maybe it is first going out, then taking a trip over one or two continents and finally come back. We have seen such cases. Ethereal/wireshark is your friend here, or check the route on you host. if you have several interfaces make sure the traffic leaves your host the right way.

Choppy audio is a sign that RTP does not take the direct path. Maybe it is first going out, then taking a trip over one or two continents and finally come back. We have seen such cases. Ethereal/wireshark is your friend here, or check the route on you host. if you have several interfaces make sure the traffic leaves your host the right way.

Fixed it!

Not sure which one it was but I deleted and re-created the auto attendant and also re-configured the open ports on the router- just removed them all and readded them and now I get the audio prompts from the auto attendant.

Still working on the audio quality. Is there any documentation on QoS?