Windows Vista ICS Routing Issue

Sara_Donald

After all my efforts to eliminate things one by one to find out where the problem is using two NICs with Internet Connection Sharing, I uninstalled the pbx and tried to use the ip phones direct through the shared PC but nada, it would register ok with the VoIP Provider but no audio in or out. I have forwarded UDP Ports 5060 for VoIP and 5100 for RTP. Here is the strange thing. When plugging the phone into the router directly and forwarding the same ports to 192.168.1.2 which is the IP phones address when connected to the router, the thing worked clear as a bell, audio in and out, no problems. Plug the phone back into the shared PC switch and forwarding the same ports to the shared computer which is 192.168.1.1 and nothing, it registers but no audio in or out. So I disabled all firewalls and still nothing. Why is windows ICS so hard to do things with when its supposed to map ports automatically which you would presume would let the sip traffic in and out perfectly, especially without any firewalls and port forwarding. Can someone please help me out.

Kindest Regards,

Sara Donald.

One thing is clear - you need to use a port range for RTP, not just one port. Typically devices use thousands of ports for RTP just to make sure they are random "enough".

I personally agree with your frustration with ICS. I also tried some time ago and did not get anything working...

I will endeavour to get it working but I think I may have to settle for aanother PC with a single NIC and pbxnsip installed so that there is only one IP address to forward ports to. Hopefully this will overcome the problem. I only used the single RTP port to test if the phone would work directly to the router which it did but once I setup the pbx on another PC I will allow for a range of ports.

Kindest Regards,

Sara Donald.