Feature request: Retrieving SIP/Web password without the use of email

chrispopp

A lot of users don't insert their email addresses when creating their PBXes. That way they don't get their welcome email. I think there should be a way to retrieve the SIP/WEB password. I was thinking that the user could call their voicemail, enter an option, and the system should read back their SIP/WEB passwords. That way I can ask them to use 3rd party apps of choice.

Hmm in principle a good idea. Generally we want to keep users from knowing their SIP password; this should be done during provisioning and based on the MAC address. The web password is another story, and there a readout could be useful; though right now we would only be able to read out numbers.

And you can still send the welcome email later from the domain portal.

More and more people are using their smart phones. These credentials are important if someone wants to use a third party app. Hence the reason to give out the SIP password. I am aware that the welcome email can be resent, but the problem is that most users are reluctant to enter their emails anywhere to do fear of getting spammed/hacked/annoyed...

We also have the idea to present a 2D code on the screen that you can get with the video camera of the phone. However that currently is limited to specific soft phones that support that.

What I like about the email message that contains the password is that the user will be the only one who sees the password.

Ultimately we have to consider having a list of passwords with expiry dates, so that you can generate new passwords when needed without having to delete the existing ones.