Configuring Polycom SoundPoint IP 430 w/pbxnsip

Eric

Phone: Polycom SoundPoint IP 430 SIP

Revision: 2.2.2.0084

BootRom: 4.0.0.0423

When starting the phone, under the Setup tab, I've configured the following settings:

DHCP Client: Disabled (Because we're currently testing this SIP trunk and need to manually configure this option so that it doesn't pull the other trunk's information)

IP Address/Subnet Mask/Gateway are all configured correctly for our network

Under Server Menu

Server Type: Trivial FTP

Server Address: (Address of pbxnsip server)

No username/password

The rest of the options under this menu are default

Under Syslog Menu

Server Address: (Address of pbxnsip server)

Server Type: UDP

The rest of the options under this menu are default

The phone seems to be loading fine until it gets to the “processing configuration” screen. It waits on that for about 5 minutes and then gives this error:

Config File Error

Error is 0x10000

Does my config file need to be edited prior to uploading to the phone?

On the pbxnsip server, I've created a log of what is happening on the phone and have attached it to this topic.

Any help or suggestions to get this phone working is appreciated!

tftp_log.txt

Did you drop the firmware files in the tftp directory of the PBX? Also, is there at least one extension with a * in the MAC address (in the registrations tab)?

Another common pitfall is that the PBX does not (by default) provision the password. Check the admin/settings/ports section on the password policy.

You can check what has been generated in the directory "generated". There you should also be able to see if the password has been provisioned.

Some more information at http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Polycom.

I've followed your instructions and still the same error. Does this config error show up in any of your troubleshooting articles?

I've also followed instructions via this:

http://forum.pbxnsip.com/index.php?showtopic=877&hl

Did you drop the firmware files in the tftp directory of the PBX? Also, is there at least one extension with a * in the MAC address (in the registrations tab)?

Another common pitfall is that the PBX does not (by default) provision the password. Check the admin/settings/ports section on the password policy.

You can check what has been generated in the directory "generated". There you should also be able to see if the password has been provisioned.

Some more information at http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Polycom.

I've followed your instructions and still the same error. Does this config error show up in any of your troubleshooting articles?

Hmm. Did you check the "generated" directory for files? You should see a directory with the name 0004f2060b0a, check out what files are in there.

Maybe you need to iron the configuration of the phone again. I remember I had to do this a couple of times before things worked fine.

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to accomplish the same thing with some polycoms. When I check the generated/MACaddress directory I find polycom_master.xml file. The contents of the file state to find the phone configurations in a directory CONFIG_FILES="http://1x.x.1.xxx:80/provisioning/polycom_phone_0004F2142B96.cfg, etc. I do not specify the provisioning directory in my html files so where does it come from?

Also if I create a provisioning directory. PBXnSIP will not use it to create files for the phone.

Hmm. Did you check the "generated" directory for files? You should see a directory with the name 0004f2060b0a, check out what files are in there.

Maybe you need to iron the configuration of the phone again. I remember I had to do this a couple of times before things worked fine.

I'm trying to accomplish the same thing with some polycoms. When I check the generated/MACaddress directory I find polycom_master.xml file. The contents of the file state to find the phone configurations in a directory CONFIG_FILES="http://1x.x.1.xxx:80/provisioning/polycom_phone_0004F2142B96.cfg, etc. I do not specify the provisioning directory in my html files so where does it come from?

So that file is not in the generated directory? Did you manually edit the pnp.xml file?

Also if I create a provisioning directory. PBXnSIP will not use it to create files for the phone.

Check out http://forum.pbxnsip.com/index.php?showtopic=701. There you see the logic how the PBX searches for files.

So that file is not in the generated directory? Did you manually edit the pnp.xml file?

There is a MAC labeled directory in the generated directory (/usr/local/pbxnsip/generated/0004F2142B96). Within the 0004F2142B96 directory resides the polycom_master.xml which has the path http://10.12.91.25:80/provisioning/polycom...004F2142B96.cfg, etc. I have not edited the pnp.xml file. What do I need to look for as far as editing? And where is the /provisioning coming from?

Here is the polycom portion of the pnp.xml file:

<file name="polycom_master.xml" encoding="xml">

<pattern>!^(0004f2[0-9a-f]{6})\.cfg!\1!</pattern>

<vendor>Polycom, Inc.</vendor>

</file>

<file name="polycom_phone.xml" encoding="xml">

<pattern>!polycom_phone_([0-9a-f]{12})\.cfg!\1!</pattern>

<parameter name="transport">DNSnaptr</parameter>

<parameter name="layer">UDP</parameter>

</file>

<file name="polycom_sip.xml" encoding="xml">

<pattern>!polycom_sip_([0-9a-f]{12})\.cfg!\1!</pattern>

<parameter name="transport">DNSnaptr</parameter>

<parameter name="layer">UDP</parameter>

</file>

<file name="polycom_adrbook.xml" encoding="xml">

<pattern>!(0004f2[0-9a-f]{6})-directory\.xml!\1!</pattern>

</file>

There is a MAC labeled directory in the generated directory (/usr/local/pbxnsip/generated/0004F2142B96). Within the 0004F2142B96 directory resides the polycom_master.xml which has the path http://10.12.91.25:80/provisioning/polycom...004F2142B96.cfg, etc. I have not edited the pnp.xml file. What do I need to look for as far as editing? And where is the /provisioning coming from?

Ouch, seems there is for a strange reason a problem with the case. The link that is being generated is upper-case, while the matching expects lower case. Maybe just move the pnp.xml file away and restart the service (unfortunately that file is cached in the PBX). "In theory" the master file and the pnp.xml case should match and there should be no problem.

The /provisioning is hardcodec inside the PBX and just tell it to run the filename through the pnp.xml file for a match. This is to keep other web access efficient, no need to run through a list of ERE!

Ouch, seems there is for a strange reason a problem with the case. The link that is being generated is upper-case, while the matching expects lower case. Maybe just move the pnp.xml file away and restart the service (unfortunately that file is cached in the PBX). "In theory" the master file and the pnp.xml case should match and there should be no problem.

The /provisioning is hardcodec inside the PBX and just tell it to run the filename through the pnp.xml file for a match. This is to keep other web access efficient, no need to run through a list of ERE!

Ok, I moved the pnp.xml file out of the html directory and I'm getting a little further now. We now have the same 0004F2142B96/ directory in the generated/ dir and within that directory is now polycom_master.xml and polycom_phone.xml. Phone now gets to "Config file error error 0x0" on the phone screen. Should we have a sip.cfg file generated also?

Any ideas? Thanks

Ok, I moved the pnp.xml file out of the html directory and I'm getting a little further now. We now have the same 0004F2142B96/ directory in the generated/ dir and within that directory is now polycom_master.xml and polycom_phone.xml. Phone now gets to "Config file error error 0x0" on the phone screen. Should we have a sip.cfg file generated also?

Maybe it is time to factory-reset the phone now... I remember it took me a couple of reboots and resets and reboots to get this done. And drop the bootloader and the firmware into the tftp directory again (2.2.2 preferred). http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Polycom contains a good list of what you should have in the tftp directory. The sip.cfg in the tftp does not correspond to the files on the master.xml, the templates that Polycom provides should not be read at all (they are just a generic example for manual edit, which is something we want to avoid by all means). You can also remove it from the tftp directory to really really make sure it is not being read.