callforwarding with caller ID

brandywinetech.com

if you are forwarding all calls to a cell phone , can we push the initial caller ID ? or just the trunk ID ? I think this was an old one we could not do , but hoping there was a way maybe now , they are using callcentric if that gives any leg up on the possibility of it ,

Practically all carriers that I know do not support that. They are so scared that people abuse this feature for spoofing Caller-ID that they prefer to present only the trunk Caller-ID or even "Anonymous". Maybe we need to introduce a new SIP header that tells the carrier that the call is actually a money-generating cell-phone redirect and corresponds to an incoming call:

INVITE sip:cell-number@carrier.com SIP/2.0

To: <sip:inside-number>

Call-ID: 123

P-Corresponds-To: Call-ID-of-other-call

CSeq: 1 INVITE

• 5 months later...
Practically all carriers that I know do not support that. They are so scared that people abuse this feature for spoofing Caller-ID that they prefer to present only the trunk Caller-ID or even "Anonymous". Maybe we need to introduce a new SIP header that tells the carrier that the call is actually a money-generating cell-phone redirect and corresponds to an incoming call:

INVITE sip:cell-number@carrier.com SIP/2.0

To: <sip:inside-number>

Call-ID: 123

P-Corresponds-To: Call-ID-of-other-call

CSeq: 1 INVITE

Any news in this??

Several of our customers needs/wants this function.....

I know you can do it with a SWYX server without any problems... jsut by changing the codes a little bit

Did you try different options in "Representing the Source" section of this page? These settings are applied on the trunk settings page.

We always get the CLIP of the caller passed through to the cellphone "out-of-the-box". No special settings were necessary in our pbxnsip configuration. We use SIP-Trunk from QSC (Germany). If you have ISDN you have to order the special feature "CLIP no screening" which is available from Deutsche Telekom (No. 1. Network provider in Germany). They charge you around 5 EUR per ISDN-Line. Whith that option you can send every CLIP out of the trunk. Of course you can abuse this feature e. g. for hacking cellphone mailboxes without entering a pin or make junk-calls with 0900-payphone numbers and hope, someone hits the "call-back" button without checking, which expensive service is dialled...

• 2 months later...

If someone is spoofing caller ID for nefarious purposes, the fault (and legal trouble) lies with the person doing it, not the PBX provider.

Your decision to limit functionality to avoid this scenario actually puts you in more legal danger: Someone could figure out another way to use your system for illicit gain and you could be sued for negligence because you didn't limit that!

I have seen and used this forwarding feature on other systems. It's pretty standard and very helpful. Would love to see it. Also, spoofing CLID can be done in so many ways (see spoofcard.com) if someone wanted to do it.

AK

• 2 months later...

I just tried a demo account with Voicepulse and they support custom outgoing ANI (works perfect), so if PBXNSIP was capable of handing off the incoming caller id as a custom ANI in real time on a forwarded call, it would work like a dream. In the v4 beta, if you include a cell phone in a hunt group (under redirection settings in a user account/ext) and enable "press 1 to connect", the PBX will at least read back the incoming caller id when you answer and give you the choice of accepting the call (pressing 1) or hanging up (which keeps the call ringing to other phones in the hunt group). It isn't quite as you would like, but it's SOMEWHAT of a solution that will be out soon in a production ready release.

I actually wouldn't mind having custom ANI on a forwarded call as a feature, though it isn't high on my list.... still would be handy though.