Hosting using PBXnSIP

jlumby

I have been running the numbers and thinking about offering hosted phone service to my customers utilizing the PBXnSIP product line. I was thinking that in some cases, where the customer would be interested in failover of having a CS410 at the remote office, and having one of it's trunks registered to my main high powered PBXnSIP server back at my office, and seting the 410 to fail over to it's built in PSTN gateway if the network connection to my server goes down, or 911 is dialed. It all seems quite easy until I start to think about Caller ID. Under normal operating circumstances, I would like to be able to send caller ID on a per extension basis. I can do this without a problem until the call hits the main server where the 410 would be registered. Hou would I use the caller ID that is coming in from the 410 across the trunk, instead of the value that would be entered in the ANI field of the extension on the main server that the 410 would be registered to. Are there variables that can be entered in the ANI field to pull the caller ID off of the incoming invite, instead of hardcoding a number in the field?

I have been running the numbers and thinking about offering hosted phone service to my customers utilizing the PBXnSIP product line. I was thinking that in some cases, where the customer would be interested in failover of having a CS410 at the remote office, and having one of it's trunks registered to my main high powered PBXnSIP server back at my office, and seting the 410 to fail over to it's built in PSTN gateway if the network connection to my server goes down, or 911 is dialed. It all seems quite easy until I start to think about Caller ID. Under normal operating circumstances, I would like to be able to send caller ID on a per extension basis. I can do this without a problem until the call hits the main server where it would be registered. Hou would I use the caller ID that is coming in from the 410 across the trunk, instead of the value that would be entered in the ANI field of the extension on the main server that the 410 would be registered to. Are there variables that can be entered in the ANI field to pull the caller ID off of the incoming invite, instead of hardcoding a number in the field?

I dont 100 % get it... You mean the CS410 is only for the case of failover? Or should it run at all times?

It would be running at all times. All of the phones in that specific office would register to it. It would then register it's trunk as an extension to my Large PBXnSIP server at my data center. If for some reason their internet connection went down, the settings on the 410's trunk to my server would be set to allow failover. The next thing in the dialplan of the 410 would be its PSTN gateway. The dialplan would also have an entry for 911 that would go directly to the 410's pstn gateway and not the trunk back to my datacenter.

It would be running at all times. All of the phones in that specific office would register to it. It would then register it's trunk as an extension to my Large PBXnSIP server at my data center. If for some reason their internet connection went down, the settings on the 410's trunk to my server would be set to allow failover. The next thing in the dialplan of the 410 would be its PSTN gateway. The dialplan would also have an entry for 911 that would go directly to the 410's pstn gateway and not the trunk back to my datacenter.

Okay, but then you don't have to worry about caller-ID on the CS410. You can use ANI, or a trunk prefix or just s DID for the whole trunk. Just like any other installation.

On the hosting side, you would have one "extension" for each DID number. In NAPNA, I would say one DID one registration, that keeps things very simple.

Just for clairification, I would have 1 extension (on the main server) for each different outbound caller ID number I wanted to send. The problem I see with this is then I would need need as many trunks on the 410 which has a low limit on the number of trunks that it supports. Isn't there a variable string you could use in the ANI field of the extension on the main server so you would only need 1 trunk from the 410 to the main server's 1 extension, and it would pull the caller ID off of the SIP invite message from the 410? Seems much simpler, as well as it is how most ITSPs handle it.

Just for clairification, I would have 1 extension (on the main server) for each different outbound caller ID number I wanted to send. The problem I see with this is then I would need need as many trunks on the 410 which has a low limit on the number of trunks that it supports. Isn't there a variable string you could use in the ANI field of the extension on the main server so you would only need 1 trunk from the 410 to the main server's 1 extension, and it would pull the caller ID off of the SIP invite message from the 410? Seems much simpler, as well as it is how most ITSPs handle it.

Well, considering that a single DID is a dollar value every month I see the registration problem relaxed. The issue is that ther eis not clear specification on how to deal with one registration and multiple identities behind it. Especially because the CS410 will probably have only a few DID per box I would say lets take it easy in the beginning and then later when the standards are more clear a trunk may have more than one DID.

Actually I know carriers who seriously provide hundreds of DID to the same client each of them with a seperate registration.

Some customers demand failover to pots if their internet connection goes down, as well as it is much safer to route 911 over a pots line. We can also save a significant amount of money by being able to purchase minutes for them in bulk through a single account we use for all of our hosting clients. While it does add some cost, most customers are willing to pay for the increased reliability. If the customer is more cost cost driven, and willing to waive the extra protection, we will gladly offer it without a 410 on site.