Vodia PBX

I confirm that for me no problem either with this version.  I migrated my multi-tenant and everything went well.  On the other hand, I have had a problem for a few versions with Android 12 which seems not to work correctly (no sounds) with vodia apps.  However, it works well on Android 9 and 10 and iOS.  I have made Pcap I will send them to the support.  unless its users on android have found the solution...

31 minutes ago, RichardDCG said:

Does anyone use inbound fax on this version?  We have reports that there is a lot of solid grey in a number of faxes.  I may revert to an earlier version - last was 6.0.12

you noticed the fax issue when you upgrade from 68.0.12 to 68.0.20?

68.0.16 and 68.0.18 both had some changes in fax. have you tried those?

11 hours ago, Vodia PBX said:

Good old FAX... If you can get a PCAP (which should work beautifully in 68.0.20) and attach it to a ticket, maybe we are able to see why they are grey.

yep. Good old fax!  Sadly medical centres and lawyers still use them ....  I'll see if I can get a PCAP, I rolled back to 68.0.16 at the moment.

The problem faxes seem to be mainly from GoFax.  The correspondence from their support below:

Is there a way to enable ECM in the Vodia PBX?

Our send services will attempt to send using v.34 at 33600 baud with Error Correction Mode (ECM) enabled. If the fax call fails during handshake, we will retry at slower and slower speeds up to 5 attempts. During the last attempt we sometimes disable ECM.

The problem you described to Rob sounds like fax slippage. Fax slippage can only occur when ECM is disabled. Perhaps the error you encountered relates to ECM not being enabled?

more from GoFax support -

Not having ECM enabled on your fax receive servers is partly the cause for the fax slippage you're seeing. Theoretically, if ECM was disabled but the call quality was perfect, there would be no slippage, but with poor quality, slippage can not be mitigated.

With ECM enabled, the fax sender can retransmit if the recipient server notices the received page doesn't match the checksum, thus increasing reliability over poorer quality lines.

Yes it is a reality that in the world of perfect PDF and encrypted email we still have lots of FAX messages, usually not encrypted and low resolution. And unreliable transmission...

V.34 is a great thing, however today the FAX speed is not so much the point any more like it used to be. As long as it eventually arrives everybody is happy. Pushing it to 33600 baud is making things difficult, considering that G711 has just 64 kBit for encoding everything. 

If T.38 is used, the transmission should be able to deal with small packet losses. Would it be an option to switch to T.38? That would dramatically increase the probability of getting the page across. The alternative would be to look into why packet loss is happening, and as a side effect the overall voice quality could actually be better which would not hurt either. 

FAX-wise there was only the change with the paper format which is not related to transmission. IMHO that would not explain any difference. We had looked into ECM, however as far as I remember it had to be manually enabled on our test FAX machine and we believed that it would be one of those lesser used (million) FAX features that has no practical relevance. 

12 hours ago, Vodia PBX said:

FAX-wise there was only the change with the paper format which is not related to transmission. IMHO that would not explain any difference. We had looked into ECM, however as far as I remember it had to be manually enabled on our test FAX machine and we believed that it would be one of those lesser used (million) FAX features that has no practical relevance. 

Most faxes are not sent by old fax machine. But either ATA adapters or I would say majority are some sort of eFax solution, which probably has ECM enabled.

At one point I was trying to use Vodia as a fax server. After some test I realized it would not work, it’s very slow. We are talking something that would take 25-50 seconds would take 4-5 minutes with Vodia.

17 hours ago, mskenderian said:

At one point I was trying to use Vodia as a fax server. After some test I realized it would not work, it’s very slow. We are talking something that would take 25-50 seconds would take 4-5 minutes with Vodia.

Yes Vodia PBX is clearly not a FAX server 😉. We'll have to look into ECM though.

• 3 weeks later...

One issue i see right away. while the fax is in progress, the user sees the fax item under voicemail in the users web GUI.

once the fax is "completed", when you try to download the file, it still shows as "NEW".

i started to delete the faxes that failed from the users web gui, after deleting the second one, all of a sudden all the faxes are missing now. logged out, logged back in and nothing. its all gone. this is ridiculous. attention has to be given to these bugs.

Edited by mskenderian
added more comments.

Well most of the users get their FAX through email, so the new status is not that important for them... That would explain why the pressure was bearable on this so far. Plus there is no way to know if they have received and opened their email, so the "new" status is kind of useless. But it looks like we need to mark the message as read when someone downloads it from the front end. 

I don’t know if I know how to communicate. It seems you missed the point.  

1) Faxes are failing for version .20 vs .12

2) failed fax shows up in the web gui and we can not mark it as read and is 0KB file size

3) faxes that were successful get marked as read when you click on it.

4) weird issue when I tried to delete failed faxes, after deleting the second one, all faxes including successful and failed disappeared from the web gui. I don’t know how to replicate.