Snom resolving domain for outbound proxy

Parks

Is there a way to stop this. If we ever wanted to move the pbxnsip we would have to manually go into each snom endpoint and make the change. This isn't going to be possible without having users down for some time which is unacceptable.

I dont get it... You mean that the PBX automatically provisions the IP address in the outbound proxy?

Generally speaking, the host resolving part should be done in the setting URL. There the phone will make the DNS query and locate the right PBX.

I dont get it... You mean that the PBX automatically provisions the IP address in the outbound proxy?

Generally speaking, the host resolving part should be done in the setting URL. There the phone will make the DNS query and locate the right PBX.

No so in the outbound proxy setting we place

sip:voip.vonvox.net:5061;transport=tls

which gets resolved to

sip:216.218.236.2:5061;transport=tls

after the snom phone reboots. So now if we wanted to move this customer to another cluster we would have to manually update this field in all their phones. Hope this is more clear.

No so in the outbound proxy setting we place

sip:voip.vonvox.net:5061;transport=tls

which gets resolved to

sip:216.218.236.2:5061;transport=tls

after the snom phone reboots. So now if we wanted to move this customer to another cluster we would have to manually update this field in all their phones. Hope this is more clear.

Well, I assume that the phone does not overwrite the outbound setting on its own? If it does get changed this is probably because of the provisioning going on. That would be okay if the provisioning server is a DNS address, which may be moved to another cluster.

Well, I assume that the phone does not overwrite the outbound setting on its own? If it does get changed this is probably because of the provisioning going on. That would be okay if the provisioning server is a DNS address, which may be moved to another cluster.

I'm not following understanding. Currently all snom phones have an ip address in their outbound proxy setting. If we wanted to move them to another cluster and their provisioning address is that of the old cluster we would have to do lots of manual work updating their provisioning addresses to their new server, correct?

If we wanted to move them to another cluster and their provisioning address is that of the old cluster we would have to do lots of manual work updating their provisioning addresses to their new server, correct?

I guess that is the point here. A load balancer would be able to solve the problem that when using just one DNS name for the provisioning the request would be sent to the right node in the cluster.

Until this thing is available, the provisioning URL is the key for load balancing. A feasable solution right now is to give every domain a different provisioning DNS name, so that later when you have to move domains from one server to another server, you can just change the DNS entry. The outbound proxy will be set up later down the provisioning process and will be automatically changed by the PBX provisioning mechanism if the server address is different.