Snom Phone behind NAT

Guest mybusinessvoice

Guest mybusinessvoice

Hi

I am using the hosted addition PBXNSIP on a VM can someone please explain how i can have up to 30 Extensions working behind NAT and have a stable system. I am using Snom handsets for all my customers

Thanks

I am using the hosted addition PBXNSIP on a VM can someone please explain how i can have up to 30 Extensions working behind NAT and have a stable system. I am using Snom handsets for all my customers

Make sure:

• That you run the PBX on a routable (public) IP address, and make sure the firewall is not intercepting the traffic
  • That the phones are using plug and play. If you dont want to expose the TFTP port on the server, then use HTTP for provisioning.

That should be working fine. The PBX will make sure that the SIP registrations are kept alive and that the media will flow both directions.

Guest mybusinessvoice
Make sure:
  • That you run the PBX on a routable (public) IP address, and make sure the firewall is not intercepting the traffic
  • That the phones are using plug and play. If you dont want to expose the TFTP port on the server, then use HTTP for provisioning.

That should be working fine. The PBX will make sure that the SIP registrations are kept alive and that the media will flow both directions.

Yes thats fine but i have 30 phone behind a NAT router on the customers site with 1 public IP how can the router do all the NAT for 30 handsets

Thanks

Yes thats fine but i have 30 phone behind a NAT router on the customers site with 1 public IP how can the router do all the NAT for 30 handsets

Right. We have seen cases where a cheap router went belly up with so many connections (just a few weeks ago again). For NAT this is in theory no problem, but the product quality is important here. If you buy a professional router it should be no problem. NAT can have up to 65000 ports.

• 2 years later...

Right. We have seen cases where a cheap router went belly up with so many connections (just a few weeks ago again). For NAT this is in theory no problem, but the product quality is important here. If you buy a professional router it should be no problem. NAT can have up to 65000 ports.

Am I understanding this correctly??? Would a separate port need to be assigned for each phone, on the customer's site?

Am I understanding this correctly??? Would a separate port need to be assigned for each phone, on the customer's site?

99 % no. A reasonable good router will pick a random port, so that there is no conflict. We have seen believe it or not routers who always assign the same port like the client; those devices obviously make VoIP behind NAT pretty random.