any pnp/auto configuration of pstn/pri gateway(s) in consideraton?

mattlandis

any pnp/auto configuration of pstn/pri gateway(s) in consideraton for snom ONE?

Not really. IMHO it is not top priority because there are so many different gateways, you install it only once per site and users don't have access to screw up the gateway (in contrast to the phone on the desk).

a suggestion would be to pick one that you support? just an idea.

The problem with the PSTN is that it really depends a lot on the location where you are (for example, ISDN country) and what kind of termination you want (for example, T1, E1, J1, 1 x FXO, 2 x FXO, 4 x FXO, 6 x FXO, 8 x FXO, 1 x BRI, 2 x BRI, and so on). Even FXO differes from country to country with the impedance and the caller-ID. Picking one is not enough.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Matt here. Since 3CX offer auto provisioning of at least the popular gateways it makes sense for pbxnsip to do the same. I recently purchased a Patton 4114 from recommendations by other users on this forum which seems to be one of the best. However the configuration was not straight forward (as is it with 3CX) and all the features of the Patton do not seem to be available as they are with 3CX. I think at least a best practice "template config file" wouldn't hurt combined with a pbxnsip template to set up the trunks.

Administrators could then focus on the excellent features of pbxnsip rather than trawling the forums for answers to basic setup queries.

By the way, pbxnsip is far superior to 3cx in my opinion and a making it easier to set up can only lead to good things.

Jag

The problem with the PSTN is that it really depends a lot on the location where you are (for example, ISDN country) and what kind of termination you want (for example, T1, E1, J1, 1 x FXO, 2 x FXO, 4 x FXO, 6 x FXO, 8 x FXO, 1 x BRI, 2 x BRI, and so on). Even FXO differes from country to country with the impedance and the caller-ID. Picking one is not enough.

When I said pick 1 I meant select a manufacturer or 1 gateway for each type of ports you need. After you have 1 specific model, adding others from the same manufacturer is not that much of a deal. Quite frankly with Patton you can probably get them to do the heavy lifting as far as what the config should look like.

1 fxo, 2 fxo, ...okay, that was an attempt to inflate the list. ;-) Also, if you have a 1 port config...2,3,4,5,6 is very simple to add.

I would humbly suggest to determine what is the most important template(s) to start with do a survey using surveymonkey or something? fxo, bri? perhaps that is usa centric, but decide how many you want to do, do a survey and pick the top xx to do.

Another alternative is to build a way into snom ONE/ pbxnsip that end users can make their own templates? maybe that they could submit to snom to include?

some suggestions