How Many Virtual Extensions?

lerman

We are a volunteer ambulance corps that needs 100 voice mailboxes (one for each member), but will only have around six physical phones. Is the free version of Snom One limited to ten physical extensions or ten total physical plus virtual extensions?

If I were designing such a system, I would limit the number of extension registrations at any one time, but not the number of defined extensions.

How does this system work?

Thanks,

Ken

lerman,

snom ONE Free limits you to adding 10 extension objects in snom ONE free. You can add as many snom handsets to those 10 extensions as you want. (if I'm understanding correct.)

Another option is if you already have Exchange UM licenses/CALs. You could possibly use them as mailboxes...(i havent dont an exchange integration myself so dont know the issues)

But I have to agree with previous post, likely snom ONE blue is best, simplist and leaste costly option.

• 3 months later...

lerman,

snom ONE Free limits you to adding 10 extension objects in snom ONE free. You can add as many snom handsets to those 10 extensions as you want. (if I'm understanding correct.)

Another option is if you already have Exchange UM licenses/CALs. You could possibly use them as mailboxes...(i havent dont an exchange integration myself so dont know the issues)

But I have to agree with previous post, likely snom ONE blue is best, simplist and leaste costly option.

I attempted to add an IVR and got a message that I could not add an additional account. So, I deleted account 49 and tried again. I got the same message. I then tried to add account 49 back again. I still get the same message. How can I get back to where I started?

Ken

Thanks Matt, I'm sure that will work.

It doesn't answer the real question, though. Does the free version let you configure accounts the way you want them (with some limitations), or are you limited to the pre-configured accounts?

One SPA3102 connected to a landline. That will be used for incoming calls only (and for emergency calls).

One VOIP trunk (flowroute) for all outgoing calls and some incoming calls.

Multiple extensions (the bulk -- perhaps all) on a SNOM M9.

Incoming calls should ring all of the extensions. Ideally, the line that the call came in on would be identified and the caller ID would be shown. If no one picks up the call, it should be transferred to voicemail (email). It is reasonable for all of the emails to go to one account (although it would be best if the called line as well as the caller id is identified).

It should be possible for any extension to page the others (generally all at once as an intercom) and to tell someone to pick up the call. (e.g., Laura, Sandy is on line one).

This is for my home. We run a couple of small businesses -- each with its own line that rings rarely. I don't like shouting up the stairs for my wife to pick up the phone.

=====

My current approach is to have all of the calls come to a single hunt group that would ring all of the extensions. After a minute, the hunt group would go to a dummy extension that doesn't ring but goes right to voicemail.

Can that be done reasonably?

=====

An alternative is to have one M9 identity for each of my incoming lines. All the extensions would be on all of the identities. That would make it easy (I think) to associate a called line with a particular call -- and I could use a different email account for each (although they would all go to the same place).

If I go with that alternative, can I still intercom and have someone else pick up a call?

=====

Lots of questions, I know.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Regards,

Ken

Home | Settings | Configuration | Factory Reset.

Note:backup first as this will reset everything to factory.

Well, backing up does me no good at all. It does no good to back up if you can't restore. So, I backed it up, did a factory reset, and then a restore. That doesn't get me back the account I had deleted. I also can't add it back.

It seems that the system lets you delete accounts, it lets you modify accounts, but once you've deleted an account you can't create another one to replace it.

My next attempt will be to try to understand the XML files, recreate the situation before I deleted the account, and manually create a tar file that I can then restore.

Ken

Let me make sure I understand: you installed snom ONE, then deleted 49, and then the system did not let you add another extension? This should no happen. Which version did you install?

As workaround you can always reinstall snom ONE and once you have a fresh installation of the latest version you should have no problem adding an IVR even if you already have 10 Extensions.

I uninstalled snom ONE, installed it again from http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Downloads, and then tried the following:

- added an IVR

- removed an extension and added it back

- removed an alias and then added it back

- removed a domain completely and then added it back

All my tests were successfull. What am I missing? Can you explain step by step what you are doing?

I uninstalled snom ONE, installed it again from http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Downloads, and then tried the following:

- added an IVR

- removed an extension and added it back

- removed an alias and then added it back

- removed a domain completely and then added it back

All my tests were successfull. What am I missing? Can you explain step by step what you are doing?

I don't have a repeatable test. I believe that what I did was try to add an IVR and got a message about too many accounts. So, I removed an account (#49) and then tried to add the IVR. I still had the same problem. So, I tried adding it back and was unable to. I saved my configuration.

I could send you the tar file if that would be of any use.

I should note that the release I'm using is not standard. I took a CentOs64 release, pulled out the executable and installed it on a debian (actually Ubuntu) 64 bit machine. It seems to be working in the sense that I can make and receive calls.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...