Polycom IP330 stuck on "Starting to Provision"

AEP

OK, we're having an issue with out Polycom IP330 phones. Here's out setup:

BootRom: 4.1.1.0232

Firmware: 3.1.2.0392

DHCP: Option 066 enabled

PBXnSIP Server OS: Windows 2K3

The phones boot, go to screen with "Waiting for Network to initialize", then "Updating initial Configuration" and then goes to "Starting Provisioning" which it gets stuck on. If I disconnect the PBXnSIP server from the network, the phone's network initializes, says can't contact boot server (expected), uses its own configuration and the phones boot up fine. I plug the server back into the network and the phone can make calls just fine.

I'm guessing it's an issue with the boot server or tftp. I see this in the logs:

[6] 2011/03/08 11:48:54: TFTP: File 2345-12200-001.bootrom.ld not found

[6] 2011/03/08 11:48:54: TFTP: File bootrom.ld not found

[6] 2011/03/08 11:48:54: TFTP: Request 0004f22418fc.cfg

[7] 2011/03/08 11:48:54: Open TFTP port 1200

[3] 2011/03/08 11:48:58: TFTP: Retransmit timeout on 172.20.3.40:1027

I inherited this phone system and don't know everything about it, so I'm kind of at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. I'm able to do my disconnect hack to temporarily get the phones to work but if any of them reboot, they're going to get stuck on the Starting to Provision screen.

Thanks,

Bob

Did you put that 30 MB ZIP from Polycom into the tftp directory? It should contain the boot loader and the firmware for the phones, maybe that's where it got stuck.

Also, do you see files being put into the generated directory? That would be a good sign, because it would mean that the PBX recognizes the extension and starts provisioning it.

Did you put that 30 MB ZIP from Polycom into the tftp directory? It should contain the boot loader and the firmware for the phones, maybe that's where it got stuck.

Also, do you see files being put into the generated directory? That would be a good sign, because it would mean that the PBX recognizes the extension and starts provisioning it.

What files are in the 30MB Zip that you are talking about? I have about 25 files in the TFTP directory (000000000000.cfg, phone1.cfg, sip.cfg, 18 JPGs, sip.ld, sip.ver and 2 XML directory files).

What kind of files should I be seeing being put into the generated directory? Right now there is 2 folders (ourdomain.local and sip.ourdomain.com) and 4 XML files (polycom_: adrbook, master, phone, sip). Under the sip.ourdomain.com folder is where all the extension folders are. The extensions that are stuck in "starting to provision" have only polycom_sip.xml in their directories, while all the phones that haven't been rebooted and are still working have 4 files (polycom_: adrbook, master, phone, sip)

Thanks

The sip.ld should be a pretty big file. But I think you also need the files for the bootloader, which as it looks are not there. I remember we also had problems because the bootloader files were not present.

What are the file names for the boot loader? I've have bootrom.ld as well as a bunch of files named 2345-1XXXX-XXXX.bootrom.ld in there also and ran into the same issue of hanging on "Starting to Provision".

Basically it seems like in the logs I get two entries based on whether or not I have those files in the TFTP:

Without:

[6] 2011/03/08 15:27:12: TFTP: File 2345-12200-001.bootrom.ld not found

[6] 2011/03/08 15:27:12: TFTP: File bootrom.ld not found

[6] 2011/03/08 15:27:12: TFTP: Request 0004f22418fc.cfg

[7] 2011/03/08 15:27:12: Open TFTP port 3731

[3] 2011/03/08 15:27:16: TFTP: Retransmit timeout on 172.20.3.40:1027

With:

[7] 2011/03/08 15:45:53: Open TFTP port 3933

[6] 2011/03/08 15:45:53: TFTP: Request 2345-12200-001.bootrom.ld

[3] 2011/03/08 15:45:57: TFTP: Retransmit timeout on 172.20.3.40:1025

Hmm... That all looks good now with the boot loader... The retransmit worries me now.

What you can do is run an independent tftp server, put the files there and see if you can get the phones boot from there. Maybe the files got corrupted somehow (CRLF Windows Linux conversion)? Anyway, now it is time to narrow down the problem, and thats why it might be a good idea to see if you can get these phones up and running at all without the PBX being involved.

Also, you can check if the boot loader version is the right one for the firmware version. I think there were also some comments on which firmware requires which bootloader, and what the upgrade path looks like.

Hmm... That all looks good now with the boot loader... The retransmit worries me now.

What you can do is run an independent tftp server, put the files there and see if you can get the phones boot from there. Maybe the files got corrupted somehow (CRLF Windows Linux conversion)? Anyway, now it is time to narrow down the problem, and thats why it might be a good idea to see if you can get these phones up and running at all without the PBX being involved.

Also, you can check if the boot loader version is the right one for the firmware version. I think there were also some comments on which firmware requires which bootloader, and what the upgrade path looks like.

Here's what I did:

Installed PumpKIN TFTP. Copied all the files to a folder on the desktop and set the TFTP Filesystem root to that. Rebooted server. I reset the config of the phone by pressing 1+3+5+7. It boots to "starting to provision" like the other times. This is what is in the PumpKIN log file:

[03/09/11 09:43:22] '2345-12200-001.bootrom.ld' of type 'octet' is requested from 172.20.3.40

[03/09/11 09:43:52] Transmission of '2345-12200-001.bootrom.ld' is timed out

[03/09/11 09:43:52] Transfer of '2345-12200-001.bootrom.ld' was aborted

Basically the same timeout error the the PBXnSIP TFTP was giving me.

I don't think it is a firmware/bootloader issue since the same files worked last week.

Okay, one step further... Seems you must get it going with the standard TFTP server first before it makes sense to use the PBX for this job again.

Firewall issues? TFTP is not a very firewall-friendly problem, even the "personal" firewall on the server might be an issue. You could try installing Wireshark to see what is going on on the network level.

Okay, one step further... Seems you must get it going with the standard TFTP server first before it makes sense to use the PBX for this job again.

Firewall issues? TFTP is not a very firewall-friendly problem, even the "personal" firewall on the server might be an issue. You could try installing Wireshark to see what is going on on the network level.

Windows Firewall is disabled on the server and I don't have any person firewall programs installed on it. I don't think it is a firewall issue since I am able to download files from my computer using a tftp client. I already have wireshark installed on the server. What should I be looking for?

Well it would be interesting to know why it times out. Does the server send the request to the right IP and does it repeat it? Does the transmission actually end somewhere in the middle or does not any packet make it?

When I run WireShark during the phone's boot and filter it based on the phone's IP address, I see 3 different events (2 of which are NTP Client, NTP Server). The only packets interacting between our phone server and the phone are UDP packets that have the info labeled "Source port: reftek Destination port: blackjack UDP"

Should I be expecting to see something else?

Well, you should see TFTP packets! Did you set the port number for the tftp server (by accident)? That would explain is right away, and also all other problems. Or did you set the provisioning to FTP or HTTP? Probably not, because otherwise it would not log anything about TFTP.

In Wireshark, you can choose "Decode as" when selecting the packet (right mouse button). Does it display something useful when you decode it as TFTP?

Well, you should see TFTP packets! Did you set the port number for the tftp server (by accident)? That would explain is right away, and also all other problems. Or did you set the provisioning to FTP or HTTP? Probably not, because otherwise it would not log anything about TFTP.

In Wireshark, you can choose "Decode as" when selecting the packet (right mouse button). Does it display something useful when you decode it as TFTP?

My mistake, in my haste to get the results I had the wrong IP address to filter on. I ended up filtering on udp port 69 and found the packet. When I have the filter set correctly and boot up the phone, I see 1 entry:

2 91.390353 phone_ip server_ip Read Request, File: bootrom.ld\000, Transfer type: octet\000 TFTP

The phone is stuck in the starting to provision.

Really really weird. Seems it does receive the first block, but then does not continue the download. There must be something really bad goin on. Are other TFTP clients clients in the same subnet able to download the image? Maybe try pumpkin as the client and see if that is able to get the file.