Full Admin web interface gone...?

nathans

Hi,

This is probably something very simple but is driving me crazy:

I have a bunch of snom 300 & 821s connected and auto provisioned to a snomONE+ running the latest version of FW on all.

The phones register OK and everything is working except when I try to web login to the phones: After being prompted from the admin login/password I get like a limited version of the WEB gui. I do not see the identities tab and when I go to advanced settings I can see all of the Network/Behavior/AUdio/Sip/QoS update tabs but the only thing under it is a label and a box for "Administrator Login" and a save button. (attached screen shot)

I have not changed any of the default XMLs or done anything other than auto provision the phones using PnP.

How do I get the full remote admin web gui? What am I missing??

Thanks!

Nathan

post-10331-0-82931700-1311460652_thumb.png

In the newer versions, PBX puts the phones in "User mode" instead of "Admin mode". That's why you don't see other tabs. If you want to phones to be always in the admin mode, then you will have to modify the snom_3xx_phone.xml template and restart the phone (There is <admin_mode perm="">off</admin_mode> line in that file. You can either delete the line of change the 'off' to 'on')

Other option is, as posted by "snomONE" user, to use the domain "Authentication PIN" to open up the other pages.

The idea was to keep away the non-admin users to login to the phone's web interface and change settings.

Thanks to both. The admin and PIN pnp passwords I know as I did set them up for the domain.

My problem as that I still thought that when you http to any phone provisioned by the system if you used the admin/domainpassword combination at the prompt you would get to the admin menus. If you used your user/userpassword at the prompt you will get the limited web interface. Is this not true?

I thought the PIN was only used with the keypad to access settings via the phone itself. I'm a missing something?

Thanks!

I thought the PIN was only used with the keypad to access settings via the phone itself. I'm a missing something?

Good point, the PBX team thought the same way but the phone team does not... IMHO a security glitch on the phones, as you can easily script the 10000 combinations for a 4-digit PIN code from the web interface.

Guest madigan

We are talking about two different things here: HTTP user name and password are only required to access the webinterface.

The administrator login is entirely independent from that access and is being used to switch from user mode to admin mode or to perform a factory reset from the phone GUI.

Good point, the PBX team thought the same way but the phone team does not... IMHO a security glitch on the phones, as you can easily script the 10000 combinations for a 4-digit PIN code from the web interface.

I'm not really familiar with snomONE so I'm wondering why this PIN (provisioned through the PBX) is limited to 4 digits only. The administrator password (from phone perspective) is not restricted to 4 digits but can contain letters or special characters (and much more than 4)

I'm a bit confused as to what you are referring to as elevating permissions.. :unsure:

You can easily change the provisioning template to enable admin mode by default:

<admin_mode perm="">on</admin_mode>

But be careful with that- you might run into trouble similar to this (which I believe was the reason why the default value had been changed..)

snomONE used to allow the full access to the phone web interface recently (when you do the PnP). But we heard a lot of customers complaing that the end users somehow changes the phone config and then call the admin for support!

So, since last bugfix release, we put the phone's web interface into the user mode on a succesful PnP. You can still become the admin on the phone's web interface by entering "Adminsstrative PIN"(on the phone) as "Domain->Settings: Authentication PIN" (set on the PBX). This PIN can be any number (need not be 4 digits). If you didn't set one, then PBX will create a random PIN and you need to dig into the domain xml file to see what that is.

As mentioned earler, if you want the old behaviour as the default behaviour, then you can customize the snom_3xx_phone.xml file. You can follow the "first method" described in http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=PnP_Customization to achieve that.