Anyone used GoIP GSM gateway?

DLS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not seen or even used this device before. From the specification, it looks like it would work. The price is not too expensive, looks like this is worth a try. If it does work, it could be a great complimentary device for snom ONE. I would definitevely interested in a report!

Okay, the unit arrived today, but I'm a bit stumped as to how to set it up. I was expecting it to operate like my ITSP, where I create a trunk on the Snom ONE as a SIP registration against the GSM gateway server, but it appears to want to work the other way around - it wants to have SIP registration details entered to connect it to a VOIP system.

I was reading in the Snom ONE user guide about connecting to PBXs together by creating an extension on one and creating a trunk on the other (I think that's what it meant) - is that how I should try connecting this up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andrew

You can register it to an extension. Then in the dial plan, you can select the option to send the call to an extension.

We have seen that with other products before. It makes sense if the device operates behind a NAT, e.g. a local E911 breakout (although it does not help to improve stability for 911 to put a device into a nonroutable location that depends on the availability of free NAT table entries of a router).

The SIP problem with the registration is that the PBX cannot use the Request-URI for telling the device where to send the call. It must use the To-Header. This is very problematic in the cases of redirection. Fortunately, in version 4.5 we are now very flexible to put about anything into the To-header, so that this should not be an operational issue any more. And PSTN does not present the display name & other stuff anyway.

Okay, I've got the gateway registering with the PBX as extension 509, and have set the gateway to forward all calls to extension 500, which works greate. I can call the mobile number which then rings the Snom 821 on my desk (although I was pretty much doing the same simply by forwarding the call to our switchboard number anyway previously, and I also got called id, which I don't get using this method).

I can route the outbound calls to extension 509 with a modification to the dial plan, but at the moment I've not worked out how I can pass the number called to the gateway. What I get currently is a new dial tone when the original mobile number is dialed, and have to re-enter the number to call, as in the dial plan I can only put the extension number in the "replacement" field.

Cheers,

Andrew

If you have the gateway registered with a fixed and known IP address, what you can do is set up a gateway trunk to the address and just route calls over the gateway trunk. The registration to the extension then would be there just to keep the gateway happy. Then you can use the standard approach of the gateway trunk to address those problems. Hopefully the gateway will accept the SIP traffic that will come from the PBX.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks - that worked. I've set up the GoIP in gateway mode which allows Snom ONE to see it as a trunk and dial out correctly, passing the number to dial through. I've not yet managed to get an inbound trunk to work, but will continue experimenting. What I do have is an inbound registration to ext 509, so I can receive calls, just can't see who they're from yet.

Will post more as I work it out!

Cheers,

Andrew