Simple setup for small home business

gruntre69

I’m after some basic configuration ideas for my Snom IP phone system.

Here is my system.

Snomone free running on windows server 2003 with 4 GB ram and 200 GB spare disk drive storage space.

2 x Snom M9 handsets with one base station

One VOIP account with ISP for home line.

2 line VOIP account with a VOIP provider with 2 DID for 2 separate business numbers.

I believe with this setup I can have a separate number for home and my 2 business entities.

I would like to have the M9 phones in different locations and would like to have both ring for every incoming call.

I would also like some way of identifying which phone number the caller rang so that the person answering can answer the an appropriate greeting, Ideally a distinctive ring.

Finally I would like to avoid using the auto attendant until a certain time of no answer and then divert the caller directly to a voicemail box for the particular number he rang in on and a way of identifying any voice messages on the system and which number they belong to.

I hope this is not to much to ask from this system and I believe this would be a fairly common Small home business requirement.

Thanks is advance for any help..

Snomone free running on windows server 2003 with 4 GB ram and 200 GB spare disk drive storage space.

Consider using a SoHo (or one of the upcoming minis) instead. This saves you a lot of power (=money) and there are no moving parts.

One VOIP account with ISP for home line.

2 line VOIP account with a VOIP provider with 2 DID for 2 separate business numbers.

I believe with this setup I can have a separate number for home and my 2 business entities.

That should be possible. The easiest solution would be to assign telephone alias numbers to the account that should be called (e.g. "40 97812345678 2121234567").

I would like to have the M9 phones in different locations and would like to have both ring for every incoming call.

For that you will need two base stations unless the two business locations are actually pretty close (DECT). Also, you must make sure that the packets between the locations can be routed. NAT is your enemy here. Either consider running the PBX on a public (=routable) IP address or use a VPN setup.

I would also like some way of identifying which phone number the caller rang so that the person answering can answer the an appropriate greeting, Ideally a distinctive ring.

Hmm. Not sure if the m9 supports that. From the PBX perspective, you can assign distintive ringing in groups, e.g. hunt groups.

Finally I would like to avoid using the auto attendant until a certain time of no answer and then divert the caller directly to a voicemail box for the particular number he rang in on and a way of identifying any voice messages on the system and which number they belong to.

Maybe the regular voicemail timeout will already do for you. If you assign extensions to one business unit, then it might become easier than thinking that an extension is a hardware device. You can have multiple extensions on one physical device.

Thanks for your reply.

I run my own exchange server with this machine anyway so I already incurr the overhead and the addition of the PBX won't add to anything significantly.

The 2 locations are in the same building which is why I bought the M9s so I'm hoping they will work for me over DECT.

I don't quite understand how the aliases work or could help me.

I've had the idea that I could assign each device and extension and then have 3 different hunt groups for those extentions and assign the diffent hunt groups to each incoming number with a different ring tone and display name.

I believe this would handle the calling line ID issue. I could then have 3 seperate different accounts with which the unanswered hunt groups terminate to for the purpose of voice mail.

Do you think this would be a solution?

Cheers

snomONE mini? Is that a new version of the Soho?

Yes. The SoHo form factor is at least in my understanding not what what you would expect from a 24/7 device that is critical for a company. Therefore, we redesigned it and put it into a snom plastic. Should be available in a few months. But the same software like the SoHo.

Yes. The SoHo form factor is at least in my understanding not what what you would expect from a 24/7 device that is critical for a company. Therefore, we redesigned it and put it into a snom plastic. Should be available in a few months. But the same software like the SoHo.

Cool. Any chance there may be an option for more storage or external storage?