LAN Setup/Question

AG1

I plan on setting my Snom One with a static IP above the DHCP range on my router, then I was going to set static IPs for each of the 7 phones I plan on using.

Is this a similar set up to what some of you are doing? Any draw backs or reasons why not to set this up that way?

Any advice or tips would be helpful since this has been a brutal learning curve for my first IP phone set up.

Thanks Mr X...............one more question for you.

Do you set up your PBX on a separate network or do you just use the LAN the office is on? Good idea bad idea....pros cons?

Since my cable modem has a firewall, should I DMZ my router so all the auto provisioning from the Snom One is passed and not blocked out for some reason? Any reason not to do this?

Thanks in advance

I would definitively make sure that the phones are able to send packets directly to the PBX ("public IP = routable IP"). It does not necessarily have to be public IP address, e.g. VPN are also a great solution. Today they would probably call it private cloud. Usually a DMZ is a way to do this; a simple port forward to a server behind NAT is very difficult to get working properly with SIP and especially RTP.

Do you set up your PBX on a separate network or do you just use the LAN the office is on? Good idea bad idea....pros cons?

I think it really depends on your environment. If it's going to be a high-traffic LAN, then you should consider a VLAN or, as you pointed out, a separate network. But, if the users are going to need access to their phone's respective web interfaces, then isolating the PBX becomes problematic.

One of the main things you need to assure is that the PBX and the phones have enough bandwidth. While VLANs can help w/that, there are other options as well, e.g. QoS; TOS; DiffServ

Since my cable modem has a firewall, should I DMZ my router so all the auto provisioning from the Snom One is passed and not blocked out for some reason? Any reason not to do this?

Are any of the phones going to be in a remote location (such as in a home office)? If so, then you'll want to check out: Server Behind NAT