PBXNSIP Support where are you?

TimB

The "free" support is on best effort basis. It can happen that other items have higher priority and then the public support slows down.

I see what your saying, and thats differance between alot of companies that sell software based systems opposed to hardware based systems. We are also a vodavi dealer and I can tell you there is real support when you need it. If you buy their product and you have a problem you dial the tech support number and they answer your call and the problem is diagnosed and fixed. Don't get me wrong here I purchased a couple systems from Yori and the support has been fantastic. But at some point as the manufacturer you have to make the commitement of real tech support for anyone that purchases the product.

Well thats my opinion.

We tried doing telephone support. But it was a frustrating experience. There were people on the phone who had simply no clue what they are doing ("I don't care about this QoS thing on my Internet - just get it working in a stable way"), were asking for support for other products ("I have problems with my SER, can you help me setting it up?") and sometime we had to navigate them through the menus ("Now move the mouse up a little bit, then left, press the left mouse button"). The record of a "kindergarden customer" on the phone was six hours (we had to increase the hangup time in the PBX for this customer). Some people on the phone became aggressive when they realized that we will not help them to understand VoIP. If people want this kind of support, they can have it - but we charge extra for that.

The nice thing about a forum is that we answer a question once and then many people can use this answer. It "scales" better than 1:1 support.

• 1 month later...

someday when pbxnsip has a solid channel aka Distributors and such they wont sell direct and have the rath of support (so much).

What pbxnsip sells is a software application that resides on your network. VoIP sucks plain and simple for a VAR. Its cool technology but for a VAR it sucks because there are variables outside of scope all the time.

my best friend = FLUKE

We tried doing telephone support. But it was a frustrating experience. There were people on the phone who had simply no clue what they are doing ("I don't care about this QoS thing on my Internet - just get it working in a stable way"), were asking for support for other products ("I have problems with my SER, can you help me setting it up?") and sometime we had to navigate them through the menus ("Now move the mouse up a little bit, then left, press the left mouse button"). The record of a "kindergarden customer" on the phone was six hours (we had to increase the hangup time in the PBX for this customer). Some people on the phone became aggressive when they realized that we will not help them to understand VoIP. If people want this kind of support, they can have it - but we charge extra for that.

The nice thing about a forum is that we answer a question once and then many people can use this answer. It "scales" better than 1:1 support.

It's a shame that there aren't records of the calls around that people could listen to for their own amusement... ooh well. (I speak here as someone who has been on the receiving end of quite a few braindead customers). Anyway, well done in not losing your sanity after the 6 hour call.