Remote Yealink Extension

Hi,

I am trying to make a remote extension work. The phone is a Yealink T22P Firmware version 7.61.0.80, The PBX is running version 5.0.8 (Debian64). The phone registers as an extension and is able to make calls with no problem. However, receiving calls is another story. The PBX receives the call but the result is the extension voice mail. This happens in both types of calls, inbound trunk or from another extension.

In the lofgile I could see the follwing:

[8] 2013/05/30 15:30:35: Incoming call: Request URI sip:8780047537@192.168.1.1:5060;transport=udp;line=8f14e45f, To is <sip:1401258111071219@200.76.112.13:5070;user=phone>

[8] 2013/05/30 15:30:35: Set the To domain based on To user 210@alfa777.mx

[9] 2013/05/30 15:30:35: Using outbound proxy sip:192.168.1.254:38470;transport=udp because of flow-label

[7] 2013/05/30 15:30:35: Call 2d85356f@pbx: Clear last INVITE

[5] 2013/05/30 15:30:35: INVITE Response 480 Temporarily not available: Terminate 2d85356f@pbx

[5] 2013/05/30 15:30:35: set codec: codec PCMU/8000 is set to call-leg 414

Please advice. I ran out of ideas and need to make them work as soon as possible.

Regards,

Yes indeed. I will update the firmware and attempt WAN based plug and play (since the phones are away from the pbx).

If port 80 is already in use in the local network of the pbx, do I need to change it and also do port forwarding in the router? This is going to be my first WAN based plug and play.

Regards

Can you upgrade to 5.0.10 or even better 5.0.10a? There we have plug and play for Yealink which sets the phone up--and then it should work. For example, use TCP transport layer.

It is worth spending some time on setting up the network right--it will save you a lot of time later. If you cannot run the PBX on a public IP, you must at least make sure that the port forwarding is 1:1, meaning that port 80 must be forwarded to port 80. If you cannot use the standard port, you may also use other ports; that's okay.

Also when you get the PnP starting to work, look into the generated folder and check if the data for the phone matches your expectations. For example, you can check if the addresses advertised there by the PBX are reachable from the phone network location.

I was able to upgrade to versión 5.0.10. In the realse corner 5.0.10a is not referenced there yet. Can I get its download address?

The PBX is under a UTM (Unified Threat Management) Router/Firewall, Cyberoam Brand on the HQ of the customer. Placing the PBX on a public IP would be possible, but it would loose points at the eyes of the IT people. Port 80 is being used by the Cyberoam itself and port forwarding is possible. They already did once to allow me to manage remotely the pbx (through https)

On the snomONE wiki page I found a step by step procedure to do the manual PnP for remote phones when they are snom models, however, I could not find such procedure for Yealinks, only for a local LAN. Is there a procedure for Yealinks?

It is worth spending some time on setting up the network right--it will save you a lot of time later. If you cannot run the PBX on a public IP, you must at least make sure that the port forwarding is 1:1, meaning that port 80 must be forwarded to port 80. If you cannot use the standard port, you may also use other ports; that's okay.

Also when you get the PnP starting to work, look into the generated folder and check if the data for the phone matches your expectations. For example, you can check if the addresses advertised there by the PBX are reachable from the phone network location.

The plug and play of this Yealinks happened in a LAN even without my intention. Out of the box and even before I had turned on the pbx where I intended to do my testing. This happened because I had forgotten that I had a free versión in my laptop that I had forgot about and the Yealinks instantly and automatically found the pbx in my laptop and did plug and play. I had nothing to do with it. Now I learned that I should stop the pbx in my laptop to avoid the plug and play or deactivate listening to multicast. So, PnP in a LAN with Yeallink happens out of the box.

I already have versión 5.0.10 running in the production pbx and know that PnP woks in a LAN out of the box. I will have the port forwarding done in the router to reach the pbx via http and set such same port in the pbx. What would be the next steps in order to achieve manual WAN based PnP with those Yealinks if at all possible?

Thanks!

There is a description for PnP on Yealink here http://wiki.snomone....p?title=Yealink. If you can, do the PnP first in the LAN to get used to it; then next step would be to do it over the LAN.

I think that finally I understood the procedure of the wiki. Now I only wonder if I need first to change the firmware of the phone or should I try first to do it as is.

Regards,

Well, the Wiki should contain the settings that you need to set in the Yealink web interface to get them going. Don't forget to open the extension for PnP for 10 minutes.

Hi,

I was attempting to do the remote Plug and Play and although the phones said: "Request sent", I did not see that anything changed. Neither I was able to see anything related to that in the log of the pbx. However, while I was struggling with that, something happened in the site where the phones were located because I lost connection of the VPN and when it came back, the phones had switched their local and private IP addresses (the ones assigned by the router). It seems that having renewed their local IP addresses was what was needed since the phones started to receive calls as before.

Regarding upgrading the firmware, I read in the release notes of the newer version that something that they improved had to do with PnP and provisioning. So, I am tempted to try again, however, the procedure to update its firmware is not as straightforward as it is with snom phones. I understood that I would need to use a TFTP server and some correct templates. It is not just adding a new file and presto.

I am not 100% sure that the port forwarding had been done right, because I do not have access to the router, the companies IT guys did it for me. So, it may have been that, or it may have been that the phones need the latest firmware. I do not know at the moment.

Regards

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Regarding this last issue, the blacklisting, I don't mind much about having to take care of assuring a "whitelist" during first registration. That is a matter of being conscious and adding that step to the procedure. Anyway, protection is worth the pain. What really, really worries me, is the blacklisting of an IP address of already registered phones just because of a change of IP address. It should not happen. The phones have the right user and password and they are registered. A sudden change of their IP address should not trigger a blacklist event, and I just witnessed one of those. This would cause complaints from end users. Have you seen this happening? Here the incumbent carrier changes IP addresses every other week.

IP addresses are only blacklisted if there are more than so-and-so unauthenticated attempts. That is actually a settings that you can fine-tune. If you are getting false alarms, you can increase the number of tolerated attempts and then eventually the system should be working smoothly. Also other counties are rotating their IP addresses, and there it is also possible to have the PBX stable and without too many false alarms.