Video Calls

metwest

Hi Guys

So I got a request from a customer today to connect a video door phone up to a Snom One System (5.XX) with 870 handsets

Seemed like an easy process but when I went to try it in our office system the Video URL settings are all gone !!!

Is it gone from all 5.0 versions? Will it be coming back ?

The old "video" worked like this: The phone receives a request to display a XML page. In that page was a link to an image on the PBX. The phone would fetch then an image from the PBX. Then there was another link in the XML that says, fetch another page. Then the phone would load a new XML, which contains a new link for a new image. Then the phone would download that file. And everything gets challenged for security reasons. And so on... "moving pictures" by generating at least two HTTP requests to the PBX per picture frame!

It is easy to see that this was a dirty hack to get something working at all. The 870 now supports MJPEG, which is also a simple standard, but which does not put any load on the PBX. The phone can then fetch the images from the camera directly. This is definitively the way to go. You have to put the URL into the phone's settings, either directly on the phone or change the template for the phone on the PBX.

Well video is not video... You can still start a regular call and then turn video on. The video and the audio will flow through the SBC.

Surveillance video is a different nature. It is "one-way video" and usually not so critical regarding frame rate. And it sometimes runs around the clock It is better to keep the PBX out of the loop there.

Nope. The problem is that the PBX usually sends a 183 back with a SDP attachment, while on the other side of the B2BUA you would have the video negotiations still going on. This would result in the SDP in the 200 Ok being an *offer*, not an answer--which it okay according to the standards, but practically no device supports that today. The alternative would be to give up on SDP in 18x; but we need that when calling (and potentially forking calls to) PSTN.

Forking does not work well with early media. :(

• 1 year later...

It is easy to see that this was a dirty hack to get something working at all. The 870 now supports MJPEG, which is also a simple standard, but which does not put any load on the PBX. The phone can then fetch the images from the camera directly. This is definitively the way to go. You have to put the URL into the phone's settings, either directly on the phone or change the template for the phone on the PBX.

I have a 2N Video Intercom, and on 4.5 I was able to easily use that "dirty hack".

Now with 5.2.3 (Vodia mini PBX) of course it doesn't work.

I tried to enter the web settings of the phone (snom 821), but it looks like after auto-provisioning I can't access the web settings (hint: I installed several snomone pbxs, but I'm NOT a snom guru).

QUESTION: Where do I have to enter the URL of the "video" exactly?

Can you provide a step-by-step tutorial to make it work?

With "hack" you mean that the phone was pulling each frame with two HTTP requests, going through the PBX? Apart from that we did fix a few things in the video area, that should actually improve the interoperability. We tested that essentially with the Grandstream video phones; but "in theory" this should also work with 2N.

With "hack" you mean that the phone was pulling each frame with two HTTP requests, going through the PBX? Apart from that we did fix a few things in the video area, that should actually improve the interoperability. We tested that essentially with the Grandstream video phones; but "in theory" this should also work with 2N.

Yes, with "hack" I mean the 2 HTTP requests.

I agree that you fixed things, thanks.

Can you please post a step-by-step or a clear explanation on how to show video on the 821 using the Vodia mini PBX?

Where do I set the URL?

Please be very detailed, as I'm not a super-expert - thanks.