I pulled the plug on my VOIP installation

Keven Vachon Kiptel

• 2 months later...

Testimonial? I like to present you one fabulous testimonial for pbxnsip:

:blink: Did you know that in 2007 & 2008 the whole VoIP-communication at the Microsoft CeBIT booth was running pbxnsip. Please carefully take a look at the picture:

CeBIT 2008 - Microsoft Unified Communication and Collaboration Infrastructure

icon13.gif I'm sorry, but we can't use ( and you can't use) it as a official reference! Has something to do with existing alliances..., business policies, etc.. icon13.gif

But I hope you like reading our pbxnsip (success) story:

In October 2006 the Exchange Server 2007 Beta 3 was released. It incorporated the Unified Messaging Server Role (for voicemail, outlook voice access, directory search like "John Smith, Call the cell!", etc.). It was using SIP over TCP and the only applications that were able to call it, were the Microsoft UM-Testphone-Tool or X-Lite. From my point of view, both of them were not suitable for doing a customer demo - showing the new Exchange features. I wanted to have a real phone that we can give the customer to provide the best user experience with UM. So I started a online search for a SIP-phone that was able to talk TCP, without even thinking about a pbx. The only phone I found was a snom. And I was very surprised, when I saw that snom is Berlin based, like our enterprise ITaCS. I called snom immediately, to get one of their phones for testing. After a short explanation of my intention, we had a meeting the same afternoon. Two nice guys from snom visited us, equipped with two phones and laptop running pbxnsip :)

Setting up a trunk to the Exchange UM server was done, very fast (transport=tcp). But nothing was really working from the start. 15 minutes after a remote desktop visit and a SIP-trace by the genius Christian Stredicke, we received a new pbxnsip version. With that the UM-Server was hooking of instantly, saying "Welcome your connected to Microsoft Exchange, etc." :) We did some additional testings, detecting new pitfalls and Christian straighten everything within minutes, like a magician. It was joyfull seeing everthing running, but at this time I was not really interested in pbxnsip. Imagine, I thought about it as an additional component complicating my demo setup :blink: . Then Christian had a hint for me: call the UM server IP address (transport=tcp) via snom phone and check if it hooks up. And indeed it worked, even without changing the snom firmware!!! B) Goal achieved! :D

We (ITaCS) powering the IT @ the MS CeBIT booth for more then 6 years now. Typically we deploy every new Microsofts Products (also Beta's) and the whole current and also the old product scope (even Windows Bob :lol: ) into the booth IT-infrastructure.

Considering Microsofts first steps in the VoIP-world we decided to use pbxnsip combined with snom phones as the productive voip-system for the whole booth (60-70 phones) and Exchange UM for voicemail. It was the first time that we were administrating the pbx and the IT. Pbxnsip fully revealed its big advantages regarding to ease of deployment, management, flexibilty, monitoring and troubleshooting. E.g. unexperienced in telecommunications, I was suprised how pbxnsip enabled me to react on demand to constantly changing needs, like it is typical in exhibition events. B)

After the CeBIT 2007 we kicked out our old traditional pbx and adopted pbxnsip with snom's. During the first month's we had a lot of trouble. But the issues were more related to our missing voip know-how and the gateway (we used a Dialog3000 BRI with SIP-control, replaced later by an Audiocodes Mediant 1000 BRI). During 2007 we integrated our Exchange Server 2007 and the Office Communications Server 2007 with pbxnsip. Our productive system is now very similar to the layout shown in the picture. As a result we were well prepared for the CeBIT 2008.

I think that pbxnsip is one great example that converging IT and telecommunication can be easy, without an "integration and maintenance hell". From my point of view pbxnsip and snom are one of the most innovative players in the voip-world. The new snom OCS edition emphasize this again. It makes snom the first standard SIP phone that can nativly register with Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007.

If you didn't read about it before you should check the info at snom: http://www.snom.com/en/snom_ocs_edition.html

I hope this will open new horizons in using Unified Communications, in terms of unifying instrumentation control and automation (ICA). Maybe you have read that snom can be combined with an Allnet Sensormeter. With that device you can control your facility environment (like door openers, fire detectors, temperature sensors, etc.) directly from a snom. This solution is great. I am looking forward the day when the phone (or a device based on it) will chat all the info to my Communicator and I will be able to chat with my enviroment. E.g. someone is ringing at the frontdoor, the frontdoor communicator buddy calls me. After talking to the visitor I chat "open" and the door opens. All that based on IP, SIP, XML, HTTP in real-time. :)

I am looking forward to read your comments and maybe your "pbxnsip success story" too and btw. shouldn't the forum have topic called: "success stories" :D

Thanks a lot to Christian and his marvelous teams in pbxnsip and snom.

Best regards,

Jan

• 1 month later...
Anyone else had problems with Snom TLS and SRTP?

Oh yea this topic is a real pain. Whoever invented SRTP did not think about concersations that last longer than 22 minutes - and that calls are possibly on hold for more than 22 minutes.

In 3.0 we introduce a new way of guessing the rollover counter. snom's 7.1.33 also has some improvements with SRTP. We all cross fingers that this will be the last time we talk about this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

I disagree with you. We moved from our traditional pbx system to PBXnSIP on an audiocodes Mediant 1000 device, which is running on windows 2003. In the beginning we had some teething problems yes, but now we are pushing roundabout 1000 - 1200 calls per day through PBXnSIP and the device's CPU is laughing at us. We do not experience any problems whatsoever, and we even use the recording features of PBXnSIP for every call we receive and make...We use 4 ISDN BRI modules for our external interface, and do not experience any problems with that too.

We first had the system on a linux based platform, and now I hate linux even more than I did ever before. Linux itself was unstable, kept on crashing.. and difficult to integrate into our environment. Now we are running on win2003 and the system is flying.

PBXnSIP is really a great application. I am happy that we moved over.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i am Bony from New york. Usually i used to share my ideas in all discussion. But this is the first i saw the topic about pbxnsip. There are mainly five edition for pbxnsip. They are Office Edition,CS410/425 Appliance,Call Center Edition,Hosted Edition and ITSP. I have Office version3.0. If anyone have latest version please try to update in later posts.

================================================================

Bony

MINUTETRADERS | Buy/Sell AZ & Direct Termination Routes,Wholesale,TDM,VoIP

• 8 months later...
Hi Kevin,

I disagree with you. We moved from our traditional pbx system to PBXnSIP on an audiocodes Mediant 1000 device, which is running on windows 2003. In the beginning we had some teething problems yes, but now we are pushing roundabout 1000 - 1200 calls per day through PBXnSIP and the device's CPU is laughing at us. We do not experience any problems whatsoever, and we even use the recording features of PBXnSIP for every call we receive and make...We use 4 ISDN BRI modules for our external interface, and do not experience any problems with that too.

We first had the system on a linux based platform, and now I hate linux even more than I did ever before. Linux itself was unstable, kept on crashing.. and difficult to integrate into our environment. Now we are running on win2003 and the system is flying.

PBXnSIP is really a great application. I am happy that we moved over.

Hi,

I need to say also that pbxnsip is a really stable product. It's still software but it is stable. I've used asterisk and other ip pbx's and pbxnsip is as near the panasonic hardware phonesystem we had in terms of stability plus we have a LOT more features and capability.

matt