CS410 loosing time

hosted

I am having a few CS410's that are loosing their time. Box this morning has an uptime of 17 hours. however I ssh'd and ran 'date' and it says: Tue Jan 1 03:13:45 UTC 2008

Which means 3 hours ago, the date reset for no reason.

Sounds like a problem with DNS or NTP itself. Is the PBX able to resolve pool.ntp.org?

yes. so are you saying that if the ntp server which checks the time every so often doesnt get a reponse the time on the PBX will reset to JAN 1? 00:00 ??

because it was working before hand.

On the CS410, the PBX first uses ntpclient to set the initial time on the Linux level. Then the time is not set any more on the OS level. The PBX uses NTP just to keep track of time drifts, but does not change the time on the OS any more.

When you change the NTP server from the web interface, you need to reboot the system before that takes effect.

ok but the box never rebooted and the customer called me and said their night service was active. I looked at the web interface and the date/time was wrong. so I sshed to the box and it was reset to Jan 1 at 3:00 AM. (which i assume means 3 hours ago the date reset.

the pbx was not reset. so my question is why did the box date reset? doesn't make sense.

I have 1 chronic box that doesn't this and 2 others so far that might have just been a fluke.

ok but the box never rebooted and the customer called me and said their night service was active. I looked at the web interface and the date/time was wrong. so I sshed to the box and it was reset to Jan 1 at 3:00 AM. (which i assume means 3 hours ago the date reset.

the pbx was not reset. so my question is why did the box date reset? doesn't make sense.

I have 1 chronic box that doesn't this and 2 others so far that might have just been a fluke.

Oh. Setting the time on Linux has only limited effect. The PBX actually does it's own NTP and calculates the drift from the OS.

Changing the time on the OS screws up the callbacks. When you have a phone call and set the time on the OS, there will be a major RTP hickup. That's why we accept that the clock drifts and calculate the "real" time with this trick.

• 1 year later...