iPhone app dropping calls after a few seconds

Guest OND

Hello,

It may be a known issue already, but my customers are having an issue with the Vodia app on their iPhones where if their iPhone is idle and the screen is off and an incoming call comes in, the phone rings and they can answer it but they get disconnected after a few seconds. If they have the Vodia app open when the call comes in, the call does not get disconnected, and outgoing calls on the app work fine. I'm sure this has something to do with the app not being able to run in the background on iPhones properly, but as far as I know, the app has full permissions in the iPhone's settings, and both the iOS and app are the latest versions. Is this a known issue with the app, and if so there a fix for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

One thing that is (and probably will remain) a problem is if your PBX is in the LAN and the app is not. Then the wakeup from Apple will still work, but the app cannot contact the PBX and then you will have that effect. The solution for this is to make the PBX available from anywhere (AKA public IP), either by putting it into the cloud or programming your firewall to make it look like that.

If the app shows the extensions in the domain on the home screen, that means that it can talk to the PBX. If not I would check the certificate (if you are on public IP, using letsencrypt should be easy) and what URL was provisioned into the app (click on the account name to check the settings).

If that works, only the firewall could be blocking RTP. I would check first if you can make an outbound call before receiving a call. This also makes sure that the app has the microphone permission which sometimes is invisible if you accept the call from the iOS incoming call dialog.

Ok, so from the app I am able to see the other extensions and their status, so it can definitely talk to the PBX. I can also call out with no issue. The only issue is when the iPhone has been idle for a minute or so (screen off in the users pocket for example) and a call comes in. The iPhone will ring, and you can answer the call and talk for about 10-15 seconds and everything seems fine, but then the call drops. If you have the Vodia app open already and a call comes in, you can pickup the call and it works fine. It will not drop. Also, every time the iPhone is idle and receives a call through the Vodia app, I get an email from the server saying this:

"Source address for sip:2715@max-solutions has changed from tls:72.19.182.161:62865 to tls:72.19.182.161:62869"

Any idea what may be happening? Is anybody else having this same issue? I'm only having issues with the iPhone version of the app which unfortunately is what most of my customers have. Users with Android phones are not having issues with the app.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Why not trying force close the app and launch it later? If it stills drops calls, try force restarting your iPhone. If unfortunately they doesn't work out, then you could attempt to use professional iOS system recovery tools such as TunesKit iOS System Repair to deal with it. Otherwise, you may have to go to the Apple store for help.